I am moving to college in a few weeks and I am wondering what is the best way to transport clothes, maybe a suitcase or trashbags?

I have been given so many different suggestions but am unsure of what I should bring. Wanted some opinions from other people.

Suitcases work very well. You can pack them like for any other trip.

Trash bags are called the "matching luggage of students" for a reason. They're probably best is you're traveling by private car. Of course if you're flying or taking a train or bus you'll probably want to use a suitcase. What to bring will depend on your demand for creature comforts. You'll want all your toiletries and grooming gear, your clothing (for multiple seasons), your own bedding and of course your computer and all the things you'll need to actually be a student. 

Use suitcases. Do NOT use trash bags. The automated baggage handling systems at most airports have a hard time handling trash bag baggage. (Not to mention that the junction points between conveyor systems can destroy the trash bag.)

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer (who has seen numerous trash bags munched by conveyor systems.)
  • drip

Is anyone dropping you off at school and returning home?  If not then what ever you bring stuff in, you will need to store or throw away.  I doubt you will have room for suitcases at school. So cardboard boxes you can throw away once unpacked. 

My daughter use vacuum seal storage bags. They were great for clothes and bedding. Stored easily and reusable.  I still have them and use them from when my daughter went to college five years ago,

She put heavy sweaters and her winter coats in them and stored them flat under her bed Until the weather got cold. (If you have an under the bed area) 

They were much easier to carry and fit into the car than trash bags.  Trash bags can rip. They are bulky to carry, and your clothes will be a mess. 

• MS

Use things that you can easily keep in your room, or dispose of, unless you have someone taking things back home for you.  A lot of students pack clothes in their hamper and/or laundry bag, which are things they will use.  Some students use trunks to store items in their rooms/apartments, and so they can be helpful for transporting things.  You can use cardboard boxes or trash bags, as they can be reused and/or disposed of when you're done with them.  I would just use suitcases if you will have someone traveling back home.

• y

Trash bags, Foldable

carry bags, duffel bags. At least, that is what my daughter is doing.

• Scott

Dorm rooms are small and don’t have room for a lot of large suitcases. But if your parents are taking you to the dorm, then suitcases would be a good option because they can bring them back home.