I was babysitting and the child threw up. Did I do something wrong? ?

I was babysitting a 1 year old and he threw up. I had given him his bottle (which he didn’t finish). Then I tried to burp him and he didn’t burp. I then gave him his Tylenol and he didn’t want to take it. I did the best could do give it to him and he took it all but fought me on it. I brought him back in the living room to try to get him to go to sleep and he then up all over himself and my feet. It was a good amount of throw up and it even had some food from his dinner. Should I be concerned/did I do something wrong? 

• LizB

He might have been a little overfed, or the burp came up and all of his dinner came up with it. Or he was just feeling sick (possibly the case since he needed Tylenol?) and emptying his tummy made him feel better.

If he didn't have a fever or super nasty diapers then one puking incident is probably not too much cause for concern, but hopefully you told the parents so they could keep an eye out for any other symptoms.

• Bort

Infants are not fully developed human beings at that age. There's still a lot going on inside of us at that age. Things are growning, things are developing. It's completely normal for a baby to throw up because of all of those things going on, and it's normal for them to get an upset stomach or gas and gas can be painful for them. 

Taking care of an infant seems to be a much larger responsibility than you realize. Things can go wrong and they can go wrong and very horribly wrong very quickly if you do the wrong thing(s). That is why I suggest you do a boat load of research and learn what to do and what the no no's are before you dive further in to babysitting very young lives like infants that are less than 2 or 3 years old. There are several things that it's possible you might think are harmless that can be fatal for a life that young. 

I do not mean to scare you but I do wish you to realize how big of a responsibility you've taken on by accepting being responsible for that young of a person's life. After all when the baby is in your care you absolutely are responsible for his life and well being. 

Over-feeding an infant isn't a horrible thing it's not going to kill it. But be aware that even a baby a few hours old knows when he or she is hungry and they also know when they are full. Do try to get them to finish their food but don't over-force it. The reason he threw up was probably because he was over-full. His little stomach was too small for that amount. When he forces the bottle away let him give eating a rest. Try and get him to eat a little more in a minute or two or give him a break from it for a few minutes, then try to burp him, and then see if he'll eat more after he relieves some air out of his belly a minute or two after he burps. I'm not at all saying decrease the amount of food you're asked to give him by his parents just be careful to not over do it too often. 

Again; it is completely normal for an infant that age to vomit. He could have hurled for many reasons: he was full, too full, and some of it had to leave because he wasn't able to digest it all so his body sent it back out the way it came in. Maybe the milk and something else he ate earlier upset his stomach so his body decided to throw it out. Maybe it was too warm or too cold - that could also cause his little body to not accept it and get rid of it as soon as possible instead of attempting to digest it. An infant vomitting once in a while is normal. If they do it every single time they're fed that is a problem (not due to something you're doing wrong) that the parents need to be informed of. Maybe they need to change the type of formula or milk they're giving him. He is only a year old. It's not possible even the parents know of all of the allergies he might have or all of his likes and dislikes, all of the things his body accepts or rejects. The parents are going through a learning process, too, with all of those kinds of things. The more info you can give them the better and when you share any info with them say that first 

"All info is better than little to no info so I'm sharing everything with you so I know how you want your childed cared for. It's your decision to make how he's raised. I want to do the right thing according to you, and for him, so please tell me how/what you would like me to do. I don't want to make my own decisions with your child and upset you because what I decided was best for him isn't what you think is best for him.

He blew chunks. Do you think it was from over-feeding or what do you think it was from and what do you want me to do when he eats a little but doesn't finish it?"

Do test whatever you're giving him to eat by tasting it yourself. This allows you to evaluate it for freshness, temperature, taste, etc. Squeeze a bit in to the cup of your hand or a teaspoon and have a bit. Make sure it's fresh, tastes ok (warm milk might have an odd taste to you, test fresh warm milk out at home so you know how it should taste so you know for sure whether heating it caused it to sour or not - formula definitely will have an odd and perhaps undesireable taste to you). Get to know what he's eating is, what it should taste like, and the difference between good for him and not good for him that will cause his body to reject it which is something that will take some time to learn what his little body can handle and what it can't handle and will reject. 

Do a lot of research and learn the things you need to know. His life and health is your responsibility while you're caring for him. 

If he just will not eat and you don't think he ate enough eleviate the responsibility of being on you by calling the parents and expressing your concern that you don't think he's eaten enough and ask the parents what they would like you to do whether they want you to keep trying to feed him or not - let the parents decide. Don't make any decisions yourself without asking the parents what they would like you to do is your best course of action. It's also the right thing to do.