passing trucks on a highway?

when I pass a truck on the highway and get in front of it - without cutting them off or anything why do they flash the high beam at me sometimes?

I am ALWAYS careful to leave enough room and I wouldn't step on the brake soon after passing - one of them recently came real close to me and turned his high beams on - perhaps this is only juvenile attitude - I was at least 150 feet ahead of him and I couldn't speed up because there was another truck ahead of me . 

I believe truckers are by and large responsible individuals so I go with Edna

• Edna

Truckers flash their high beams at you after you pass them and pull in front of them in order to signal you that they know you've pulled in front of them. They SEE you, and they're not going to run over you.  

if you have over taken a Truck safely once it is safe to pull in the Truck driver will flash you to tell you it is ok

When you intend/begin to pass, you give an initial blink to let them know. 

When you're far enough ahead they blink back, to let you know you're clear. 

It's an old trucker behavior. 

I saw this in the 1950s when I was a child, on the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpike.

• Ron

Without cutting them off. Are you at least three car lengths in front of them before you move over? 

• Kieth

To let you know you are a safe distance in front of them.

Usually, they will do this before you pull into their lane to let you know that it is safe to do so.

Maybe to tell you to use your turn signals when pulling back into the right lane. If you are not using turn signals the indicate you are passing or pulling back into the right lane then that is the reason. Otherwise maybe you are cutting back to the right too soon and not allowing plenty of room. 

• Rick

Just to tell you that you are safely by them .......................