How to take a gap year in high school? ?

Homeschool is not an option for my family and my district is doing MANDATORY in person classes. I'm immunocompromised with a heart condition. How do I get out of putting myself in a cesspool? 

6 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    There’s no such thing as a “gap year” in high school.  I suggest you and your parents talk with your doctor(s) and school district to find out what your options are.  I’m sure you are not the only student in the district with this type of situation, and they should be able to help you figure out what to do. (504 plan, homebound/virtual learning, etc.)

  • 2 months ago

    There is no way they can legally make you come to school with the circumstances you are describing. 

    Source(s): Former Teacher
  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    If you are in HS and are going to be staying home, get an online HS program. A 504 plan may help with that.

    But you can not take a gap year.  You can do an online program at home, you can drop out of your meet your state’s requirements, but you can not just sit at home for a year 

    As a parent I would be talking to my child’s doctor too. 

  • 2 months ago

    maybe your doctor can write you a note

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    ask your doctor to write a note about it

  • 2 months ago

    If you do not already have a 504 plan, get one. Then make sure one of the accommodations involves not coming to school when you or your doctor fee it would put you at risk.

    They can't make you physically go to school if it would risk your health. If they try to push back, contact a local TV station and tell them your story. I find it scary that there are clueless schools out there. 

    There are plenty of people in a normal school year that can't be physically in school for whatever reason (i.e. really sick, injury, etc) and the 504 covers that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.