Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How come an suicide hotline agent told me that she has to report my thoughts of running away?

So I was depressed and suicidal and so I called the suicide crisis hotline. I'm facing huge legal troubles and I'm about to get an ankle monitor slapped on me soon. I don't want to do that. I was doing some research on faking your own death  and then running away and disappearing from authorities and live a new life under a different name and social security number. I told the suicide hotline lady about this and she claimed that she had to report my thoughts and plans to the police and FBI. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to do this or not, it was just thoughts. It was thoughts that I was considering though given the circumstances that I've been framed. I was thinking about faking a drowning of myself. I don't get why the lady had to report me. Why did she report me for this ?

Suicide hotlines are anonymous. They do not even ask your name. 

I guess that people think that a suicide hotline is supposed to help them in some way?  So in your case you were punished for calling. It shows how mentally ill our society is, especially the government!

do a runner and they will be looking for you forever. JUst do the time for the crime then get over it. Eg Julian Assage hid for 6 years in an embassy and seems quite mad now.

• kelvin

we can all help you by reporting you for being a repeat troll

Let's see..You admit to the operator to researching how to "fake your own death" and then running away from authorities only to disappear in an attempt to hide.  That is against the law and puts you in danger if you should try to run away from authorities.  By the way, you just admitted the same thing on the internet.  Not the brightest thing to do, Einstein.  Put on your adult pants and accept your punishment.

Do you not know right from wrong?  You were planning another crime.  You need help and I know the One who can help you, it is the Lord Jesus Christ.

You need a heart and mind change or you will be facing death row one of these days.  Only the Lord changes hearts and minds.  Find a local Christian church and tell the pastor that you need to know Jesus.  He can help.

Visit your local police department and ask to speak to an officer.  Show them what you have written here and ask them if the person you spoke to at the suicide crisis hotline broke the law when they said they had to report your thoughts and plans to the police and FBI.  I am sure they will be able to help you answer your questions.

They shouldn't normally report that, the only time they should break confidentiality is if you tell them you're suicidal, going to kill someone else or commit an act of terrorism. A crime such as running from the police should not normally get reported by a counsellor. If they do, complain, even though you told them you are going to break the law, it's not serious enough for them to break confidentiality.

• Wilson

Because these kinds of thoughts are thoughts that you have to keep to yourself. 

I don't know your age, but if you are a minor then you are the property of your parents or legal guardians. 

Faking your own death and running away is violating the law. Your parents, at this stage in your life, decide what happens to you. 

Not you. 

Once you become an adult, then you can make those decisions.