Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

How do I overcome my fear of horses?

My Mom got laid off due to the pandemic and while she is trying to regain everything and get a new job she is sending me to live with my aunt and uncle as I am only eleven. I have a very good relationship with my aunt and uncle and love dearly. They live a couple of hours away from my Mom. There is only one problem with living with them. They have horses including a big Clydesdale and I am terrified of them. They assure me that the horses won't hurt me. Especially if I am safe and smart around them. I feel like a loser being so scared of them especially because I have never had a bad experience with a horse. I haven't spent a lot of time with horses. I want to overcome this fear but every time I get near the stables I feel sick to my stomach. How do I overcome this fear?

Go smack it in the butt and tell it to chill out. 

It's natural to be afraid of something you don't understand and even little ones can be quite intimidating. Horses are social animals and have very intricate herding instincts that are fascinating (to some) to learn about. I would avoid having any food on you as it can encourage crowding and nipping. Plus, they are coming to you for the food.

The best thing to do is try and keep something between you and them. Like a fence. This will make you feel safer, decrease your fear and the horses wont pick up on your fear. You could also learn a little bit about body language of horses and how to communicate with them using your body. Example: avoid approaching a new horse head on and staring at them. This resembles a predator. Don't pick a spot on the horse and aim for it like a predator would. So some people will approach in a 'locked on' way, aiming to stroke the face or the neck. This isn't so important with horses well adjusted to humans as they know human wont hurt them, but it's just an example. Instead approach from the side of the head, with your eyes on the ground. When the horse turns it face and looks at you stop and take a few steps back or walk away. This is called a draw. And some horses will respond to that communication and follow you. You're basically saying 'I'm no threat'. Even with horses that are happy around humans, this language still makes them feel comfortable. 

Horses are extremely social animals. Try offering them a treat. Carrots, apples, or even a handful of sugar. Once they begin to associate you with a sweet snack they will warm up to you.

As an 11 year old you are not allowed on this site.  Tell you Aunt and Uncle about the problem you have with horses.

Hey that's okay, I rode horse for years and years and did I see some pretty bad wrecks with riders and horses, don't let them force you into riding,petting or anything else your not comfortable with. If you are not horse savvy then stay away, just listen and tell them how you feel and ask them not to force it on you. You can enjoy them from a distance, I wouldn't feel comfortable petting a lion and I'm sure that is just how you feel, a lion that neighs!

• jean

maybe befriend a young horse first

• Snezzy

Spend time looking at the horses, maybe talking to them. Don't worry about being 11. Lots of people start working with horses at the age of two or three. I started when I was 45.

Try to figure out what the horses are thinking. You do that by watching their ears.

>>>MORE<<<

Don't try offering them food. This is a bad idea in several ways, all of which your relatives can explain to you.

In general the older horses are safer to be around than the younger ones because they have learned how to trust people and how to behave properly.

If you're actually for real, and actually are 11 years old, you are too young to be on here. The minimum age limit for Yahoo Answers is 13, not 11. Sorry.

• CB

Good question - horses hate me for some reason and always try to bite me. I did meet a great draft mule in Death Valley that was amazing and would love to be around more mules - but overall I give big draft animals all the room they want. Go feed the chickens and tease with the goats, much safer.