Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

My mother does not want me to renounce my US citizenship, even though I'm an adult and have never lived in the US. What should I do?

She gets angry any time I discuss US citizenship taxation and tells me that I have nothing to worry about since I don't live there. They only tax residents. Everything I have read online says otherwise. 

How should I handle this?

Btw she's also a US citizen and emigrated from the US 40 years ago. She thinks it is a privilege to have US citizenship and it's something a lot of people in the world would happily trade places with me for...

YOU are a LIAR... YOU are a TROLL... If you hate the states so much it's easy... PACK YOUR CRAP AND LEAVE..

• jimmy

All US citizens must file US taxes, no matter where they live. If you have never lived in the USA and have no wish to live there, there is no reason for you not to renounce your US citizenship. You obviously have no ties or loyalty to the USA. Even Boris Johnson the prime minister of Britain renounced his US citizenship and he was born  in New York.

It depends on your age, if you're over 18, you are supposed to declare all the income you make overseas, don't renounce US citizenship what's up me 682- 291-4096

What is your age?

How much is your annual income?

make your own decisions 

In most cases the US has reciprocal tax agreements with foreign nations to where the onus on the US expat is merely to file a return, not necessarily to owe any taxes to the IRS. But if you never intend to live in the US even that might be a hassle for you. Assuming you're an adult I'd say just stop discussing this with Mom. 

You are subject to US income taxes, and must file your US income tax return annually even if you do not reside in US. You must US income taxes on ALL income from ALL sources worldwide (you might be eligible for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, FEIC, but only on what you earn if residing outside US for over a year - all other income is taxable). You may also be subject to filing FBAR (now FinCen Form 114) to report foreign bank & financial accounts, and Form 8934, report of all foreign assets. Failure to report ON TIME as required carries draconian penalties, like $50,000 fine.

To renounce, you must prove you have filed your US income tax returns & paid all taxes due. Depending on your income & taxes paid, you may be subject to the Exit Tax. 

Tell your mother the polite equivalent of she's sorely misinformed & "Stuff It!"

All US citizens, irrelevant of location, have to report taxes to the US. Whether you have to pay taxes depends on earnings etc

BUT - if you renounce citizenship, you can expect to never be allowed to return even for a holiday. And you have to pay for the privilege. 

I'm sure your mother knows very well that the US is one of a very small group of countries (the others are Libya, North Korea, Eritrea and the Philippines) that tax citizens whether they set foot in the country or not.  But if you were not born in the US and have never held a US passport, the chances of them identifying you as a US citizen for tax purposes are close to zero.  Moreover, they cannot touch you while you are outside the US.  Renouncing your US citizenship would open a can of worms as you would first have to file returns.  Don't do it.

What you have read online is correct.  Make up your own mind.  You have to live with yourself what you decide.