Charo asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

Check troubles?

So i just made an online check deposit bc I received a check from someone (that i dont know personally). Im kind of scared that the check will be found fraudulent, so i called my bank and tried to cancel it because its currently on hold. They said they couldn’t but if I don’t use any funds from the check and simply wait to see if it gets cleared, then ill be fine if it bounces. They said i could simply pay the bank back ... is this true?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you don't use the funds, there's nothing to pay back except the fee for the bounced deposit. The bank will simply subtract that deposit from your account.  If you received a check out of the blue for no reason, you can bet it's fraudulent, especially if you were asked to send money back to the person.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It will be fine unless you have a history of this kind of thing. Why did you deposit it?

Even if the hold expires, it does not mean the funds are good. But it should return NSF before that.

• 2 months ago

Remember, the bank will release the funds after 3 days.  However, this does not mean that the check is good.  Fraudulent checks can take a couple of weeks to bounce.

What are you supposed to do with the money?If the sender is requesting that you send the money somewhere else FOR ANY REASON, then the check is definitely fake.

• 2 months ago

If you use no funds from a bad check, there is nothing to pay back. Yes, all you need to do is wait to see if it clears.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.