Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 2 months ago

Why doesn’t my spoon dissolve when I stir hot coffee? Who discovered lead spoons were poison? ?

• D50

I doubt that anyone ever used lead spoons. They would be too heavy, soft, and bendy.

Metal spoons do not dissolve. It can conduct heat but do not dissolve. Metal can melt but only at very high temperatures. The temperature of coffee is not high enough to melt your spoon. 

• MARK

Why doesn't your spoon dissolve in your coffee? Be glad it doesn't. You'd never drink your coffee (well, I wouldn't if my spoon dissolved in it) and you'd be forever buying spoons to stir a beverage you'll never drink. Spoons are made of metal (often) or plastics). They simply do not melt (turn from solid to liquid) in hot water. If you're to make a good cup of coffee you shouldn't have even got the water to its boiling point.

I don't know if a named individual discovered lead was poisonous or if it was more of a gradual discovery. In fact, I think humans have known about lead poisoning for a long time. We know it is neurotoxic, genotoxic, or carcinogenic.

Metal spoons do not dissolve because spoon makers make sure they use materials that do not dissolve. Coffee is not hot enough to melt metal. Lead damages the developing brain. Biologists discovered that and so lead is no longer allowed in paints or gasoline. Lead used to be added to gasoline to boost the octane rating. The term unleaded gasoline was invented when it was discovered that lead is harmful and unleaded gas cost more. Now gasoline can no longer include lead. 

Spoons that dissolve as a prank are made from a specific alloy that has a very low melting point.

You need at least a propane torch to melt lead.

Utensils are made from steel or silver. Neither of those will melt in hot, even boiling, water.

Spoons have a higher melting temperature than hot water is why they do not melt or dissolve. 

• rodcom

Lead does not dissolve.  All plumbing used to be made of lead, which is where the word plumbing came from.  Plumbum is Latin for lead.