Anonymous

Am I wrong for telling externship I won't be returning after catching covid-19? ?

Okay so I attend a trade school and one of the requirements to graduate is to complete an externship(last day for me is august 11th) Because of my diploma type, my externship was doing office work at the school. I started working late june, not even two weeks into working I magically caught covid-19! I was VERY sick july 4th weekend and tested positive that week, my symptoms lasted longer than I expected. I got tested on the 22nd of july and tested negative and sent them the results to come back. After talking to my doctor and parents(who also work in the medical field) who believe I got it from the school, I have second thoughts. It made me think that I saw zero disinfecting of high tough areas, all they were doing were mask wearing and temp checks when arriving. With little to no social distancing! The school also has a lot of foreign students coming in from all parts of the world.  I don't feel safe working here again and I pretty much told the externship coordinator this and got no response yet. 

A Hunch, sir I never had a fever the entire time I had covid. Stick to what you know, your answer is full of bs. 

SumDude, you should stop drinking the faux news/trump koolaid. 

a, you have no clue what my "peers" are doing. Try again.

Since you won't get a diploma without completing your externship, are you willing to chuck your trade school education and start all over again?

Or is your plan to go all 'entitled Millennial' and demand a diploma anyway without completing the work your peers do?

"I believe" I got it at school = who cares what you believe.

If you are the only one that got it, there is no way to know where you got it.

Zero disinfecting = ok. we know it doesn't really transmit from inanimate objects to people because people are predominately getting it from person to person transmission.

all they were doing were mask wearing and temp checks when arriving = well, temp checks are meaningless because you are already contagious by the time a fever develops.

With little to no social distancing! = these people are part of your bubble.  You don't distance from your bubble.  That's the point of a bubble.

"The school also has a lot of foreign students coming in from all parts of the world."

- I have no idea what this means, since the US is not open for most travel.  And many places have less covid the US.

"I don't feel safe working here again" = why?  You have had covid.  You may or may not be able to get it again, but it's unlikely to get it twice very quickly.

"I pretty much told the externship coordinator" = you need to have an externship to graduate.  It's pretty much easier to finish this one than start a brand new one.  Your choice or you can simply drop out of school. 

"yes" - although you have freedom of choice. Antibodies should protect you from re-catching the CV in the near future so you have time to mfinish your externship.

Foreigners are much less likely to have the virus than Americans are.

There's no proof that disinfecting high touch areas really does any good.  It makes you "feel" safe, but that's about it.  The virus mostly spreads through the air, not on surfaces, so masks and temperature checks are much more important.

It would be much safer than most workplaces.

• Judy

not wrong for not going back, but didn't expect to graduate

thats up to you

• GF

You have the right to protect yourself from harm. If you do not feel safe, you shouldn't go back.

You can not prove that you caught Covid-19 from that school or your coworkers. You could have caught it elsewhere. 

If proper hygiene practices are not being enforced. Speak to the Department of Health, School Department Superintendent and Trade School about this.

Documentation may be asked for to prove your accusations.