I went to get my laundry?

I just went to get my laundry out of the washing machine at the laundromat that's adjacent to my duplex and when I went back to get them out of the machine I noticed the lid was up with my clothes washed but I'm afraid maybe somebody went in there and did something or put something to my washed clothes. The 3rd washer down from mine had the same thing.. Im.not sure of i should wash again but I don't have anymore detergent and I dont want to pay another $2.50 to rewash.. Can I just dry and take home? I'm not sure if I trust it or I should rewash them again but I have no detergent for my clothes now I used the last of it on this load can I use body wash?

• Ann

What happened was that you didn't go promptly to remove your clothes from the washer.  Opening the lid is a signal that people use to scold an inattentive person that he/she needs to remove the washed clothes so someone else can use the washer.  I'm sure no one "did anything" to your clothes.  Next time watch your time and be prompt in switching out your clothes from a washer to a dryer.  When I lived in an apartment, that happened a lot.  People would start their wash and then go off and do something else.  They would leave their washed clothes in the washer, and no one else could use it until the clothes were removed.  I even saw washed clothes that had been left for hours and someone got angry enough that they threw the clothes on the floor and put their clothes in the washer.  Then the person who had left their laundry had to re-wash everything.  There were signs on the wall of the laundry room that said, "Remove your clothes from washers promptly", but people ignored the signs.

Somebody was looking for a machine to use and lifted the lid and left it up. No problem. Next time stay and wait until it is finished so other people are not inconvenienced. 

Chill out.  NO, you cannot use body wash on your clothing -- way too much sudsing action in body wash.

So, dry them and either don't wear them and wash again when you have detergent or dry them and wear them.

You left your clothe unattended and someone open the washer to see if it was available -- happens all the time.  There is no reason to assume anyone is going around putt "something" on your clothes. If the idea that someone might touch or tamper with your clothes bothers you, please don't leave the laundromat until you clothes are finished.    Of course, this is a hazard of washing your clothes in a laundromat. You have no idea what was in the washer before you either.

You're not supposed to leave your laundry un-attended. Your lucky the people didn't take your wet wash and throw it on top of the table or in a dryer. Always periodically check your wash. Some people do laundry every day and take it seriously. Next time try and catch who did it. 

• funnel

You have to be careful of people mistaking your washing machine from theirs. They...look at your laundry and then realize their clothes are in the 3rd washer down, soo probably should use the dryer next or something. Wow. This..this is scary.

• keerok

I'm thinking someone needed the machines right away and since you haven't brought out your clothes yet, he did it for you.

Someone wanted to use the machine but saw the clothes on it.  Happens all the time.

Do what you want, but I bet someone was just looking for an empty machine, and left the lids up to signify the machines had clothes in them. 

If someone really "did something" to your clothes, the dryer heat will kill off any bacteria.

You're worried over nothing. What I think happened is, someone needed to do their laundry and all the other washing machines were taken so they checked the ones that were finished to see if they could switch it out. When I lived in an apartment building I remember it was a regular occurrence where I'd find my wet clothes yanked out of the washing machine with someone elses clothes going.