Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Why is meat so expensive compared to vegetables?

Should I turn vegetarian to save money?

I was making souvlaki's today the meat for it cost me $12 and the vegetables only cost me $4

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Isabel
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I think it really depends on what specifically purchase and from where. My vegetables are pretty expensive, because I buy mostly organic vegetables from a pretty nice shop, so I have smaller perkier produce. I’ve seen disconcertingly cheap meat in the stores. Sadly, in the United States processed food in general is much less expensive than fresh whole items.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

12 Dollars hat did you buy i had scotch fillet for only 6 dollars + vegetables

My Club Steak and 5 Vegetables 10.50 AU

• 2 months ago

Calorically, it's not. 500 calories of meat is a lot cheaper than 500 calories of vegetables or fruit would be.

• denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You could,  or you could have veggie meals more often, and have meat occasionally.

Teriyaki veggie kebabs are very tasty.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Daisy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What kind of meat and what kind of veggies?

Meat is generally more expensive than veggies, but when you compare calories and nutrients per  dollar spent, meat will usually come out looking pretty good.

Plus if you eat no animal products, eggs, dairy, meat, you have the added cost of supplements since no plant makes several vital nutrients (b12, DHA, etc)

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Where I shop I can get chicken for less than $2.50/lb and bell peppers are 2.69/pl asparagus 3.99/lb etc.   Not that much difference on many items. 

• 2 months ago

Beef especially is extremely inefficient. It takes many times more soya beans, for example, to get a pound of beef than it does for turning into tofu or whatever. Hence the Amazon rain forest is being cleared for cattle fodder, for example. 

• 2 months ago

You could eat chicken which is very easy to produce compared to cattle.  Pork is also cheap relative to beef.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maybe because of the Feed costs for vegetables vs. meat. 

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

veggies are fed by water--beef is fed with hay, grass and some kind of oats or other food that costs money for a year of more until the cow goes to market. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.