Why do some Christians automatically assume that if God exists and shows himself to me, they think I will worship him?

I don’t intend on being a slave. Why would I worship someone who allows innocent children to get cancer? 

• God

For some reason groveling to a god is part of the human psychology.  Even if there were a god (which there isn't) why would he want to be worshiped?

• Paul

You would be in such awe, that you would automatically desire to worship Him.

you have free will to believe in God or not. 

John 3:16

New International Version

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

That's the gospel otherwise know as the good news. that's all Christians have to do; tell people the good news. It's up to the person to choose what they will do.

If you want more information 1 Corinthians chapter 15 is quite insightful.

God doesn't give children cancer, silly.  It's just one of the millions of things that can go wrong in mortal life.  If he prevented all children from getting cancer, you atheists would just pretend that there was something about childhood that protects us from cancer.

Remember: Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

• Word

I've observed the opposite, where Christians assert that we deny his existence *because* we don't want to worship the god.

The way I see it, the Christian depiction of a god is too evil to admire. But it *claims* a lot of nice things. So either the god is made up by infallible humans (the most likely scenario), or the god is actually evil, or there are grave misunderstandings that should be clarified from the god.So when Christians ask me if I would worship if there was definitive evidence for the god, my thought is, I don't know, because I highly doubt that a real god is one as described by the extremely contradictory god of the bible, unless it's an evil god whose behavior contradicts its words because its a liar.

That shows a poor understanding of Matthew 5:45.

I would take that bet in a heartbeat.

Here come all the ridiculous excuses, why do you instigate such ridiculousness from these poor saps?  We already know their 101 excuses for their imaginary sky fairy god, they use them time and time again, it's pathetic. 

They think "might makes right" I guess