Need help diagnosing a problem with my heat pump.?

I have changed the contactor and capacitor on my unit. I give it a good tap on the top near the electrical and the unit will start running. 

There is a bad connection on the area you are tapping. Pull the breaker and start inspecting.

• elhigh

With the information you have provided, we can only guess.

It would help if we knew what you were tapping.  I'm going on a hunch that you tapped the contactor, which then clicked in and closed the circuit and the machine started.

If that's the case and the contactor is new as you say, that would imply that the contactor isn't receiving the full operating voltage that it needs to pull in, and a shock is required to jostle it and get it to shift off the open position.  Once closed, the voltage it is receiving is enough to hold it in position until the cycle ends.  

Spend some time on this site, they're full of useful tips: https://inspectapedia.com/heat/Low-Voltage-Transfo...

So check the output of your control transformer and also the voltage at the coil connections of the contactor.  If you're seeing close to 24v at the contactor, then the problem is still the contactor.  If it's low at the contactor but okay at the transformer, check wiring and connections downstream of the transformer.  If the transformer voltage is low, replace the transformer.

• y

Any safeties, Hi or low cutouts and such?  Any type of fan cycle controls?

I have no idea where you are tapping, but hitting it and it turns on, usually indicates one of those safeties being jostled(depending on type) or loose electrical connections.

• Droopy

where those parts bad?  With the info you gave geuss Your best bet us to tapping it good everytime yku want it to run.