.
. asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 4 months ago

Will a rope and grappling hook work to remove dead tree limbs?

I did have a pruning poll I was using, but I returned it to Amazon because it wasn't working well when fully extended. And just wiggling the pole made the branches crack and fall down (before it stopped fully extending).  The hook I ordered includes a rope and is rated at 300 kilograms max weight. 

My concern is that it will just get stuck in the tree.  You can't tell it from the pic, but several branches are very decayed with no bark.  In a windstorm, they often break and come crashing to the ground.  So it's a safety issue.

The rope is 10 meters long, but I could increase that length for added safety.

• y

You go up in the tree and use a saw, to thin the dead crap out.  Dead branches that have gotten stuck often need to be pushed and puled to get them out, not going to work with the hook.

• elhigh

This is an extremely bad idea.  It won't work at all at best; you'll get clobbered by falling limbs at worst.  There's a whole spectrum of ways this can go wrong in between those extremes.

The extended pole was your better bet; after that you should consider hiring a professional service to do the work.

Yes, it's expensive.  But you know what costs more?  Hospitals.  Roof repair.  Liability judgments.

Good luck with it.

The dead branches need a saw.  A pruning shear does not work on dry branches, only green thin ones.  Or wait till they snap off some day onto the roof of the house.

.   It looks like you got ahold of the BAT HOOK.  You were hoping to break it off. Fat chance. So long as the tree is alive they may stay there and you are planted 6 feet under...so a LONG time.

Usually the branches below the dry ones slow its decent to the roof top.  No safety concern.

If somebody got hit by a falling branch, tell them to run real quick and buy a Lottery ticket because the chances are that slim and they sound Lucky.

Using something like that to bring down tree limbs is also a safety issue, and maybe even more of one because if you use this thing that way you're guaranteed to be standing right there when the branch comes down.

That is a horrible idea.  If you're lucky it will get stuck before you seriously hurt yourself.  It will get stuck. 

yes -- it eventually will get stuck in the tree.  maybe not this time, but eventually it will and the darn limb won't break off.  the guy i use for this has a pole with an extending square cross section, not a round one. no idea where he got it and it lets him do better job of manipulating the angle of the blade at the top.

I assume that climbing the tree isn't an option ...  [--grampa]

Just remember that many people have been killed under falling limbs.