Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Overall, is it worthwhile to spend 40k on an Accounting degree?

I've talked to some people in my area who say there's opportunities in medical billing, banking jobs, and accounting firms that will hire new grads as a staff accountant. Starting wages are around $12-$15/hour, but there's some upward mobility with after a few years. I found out getting a B.A. from a local state college would cost 40k if I commute.

....Is this worthwhile or should I look for cheaper ways to get the degree? 

• John

This exact scenario keeps being posted in this forum repeatedly.  Allow me to repeat the answers you, er, I mean...the others, were given before.  

(1) You first need to decide what you want to  do for a living, not go to college for 4 years and then decide on something.  (2) Once you make a career decision, you should train for that career.  (3) Medical billing and bank tellers do not need to go to college. (4) If you get a job in an accounting firm or a bank without a 4 year degree, the chances are well over 90% that you will be in that same position 30 years from now. (5) If you want to have a professional career in accounting, you must have a 4 year degree. (6) The wages you quote are far below market for even an entry level accountant with a 4 year degree.  

There is no cheaper way (except to do the first 2 years at a comunity college) [or scholarships, etc]. The price shocked me until I remembered I graduated 40 years ago and prices have gone up (!)

• drip

Get your Bachelor degree in accounting, then get your CPA.  Average salary is $50K to $110K 

If you want to do medical billing you can get a two year career program at your community college. 

• fcas80

If your goal is to do medical billing, then that is an expensive degree.

If your goal is to do corporate accounting in the business world, then get an accounting degree from a well-respected school.

• Rick

compared to WHAT ???  digging ditches ??? working for you father ???   A life with the circus ???