Electrical box issues at townhouse unit?

We have a problem with our electrical box and I wanna know if this is a dangerous issue. We put in a request to the landlord to have the box checked. Why? Because the lights kept popping off and we would have to go to the breaker box and switch back on, all the while it was sparking while doing this and hot to the touch. They called a electrician and he said the breakers ( if I'm saying that right) were bad and loose and not getting a good connection. We could literally hear popping through the wall outlets mind you. He rigged it up by wedging what look like some kinda paper to keep it on until he could get the front office to order the stuff he needed to fix it, so a month went by and headed nothing. So we called the front office and they said that since he rigged it and it's now working that they were not gonna do anything until it happen again, now I'm no electrician but can't next time be a fire cause we are not home or asleep? Or it's nothing to worry about? We are highly worried after seeing it spark and popping and popping through the wall outlets. What could happen next time when the rigged up mess stop working and cause something bad..

"sparking while doing this and hot to the touch"  

Where?  

At the circuit breaker?  

If yes, shut it off.  It needs to be replaced.  Hot and sparking is what causes fires! 

"We could literally hear popping through the wall outlets" 

This is dangerous.  

Another fire hazard! 

"He rigged it up by wedging what look like some kinda paper to keep it on" 

This is dangerous! 

This is so easy to repair properly. 

I'd bring the city electrical inspector in and show him.  Then you'll see some sparks fly! 

Your manager needs a 2x4 shoved somewhere. 

• elhigh

Speaking as a pro handyman, whoever did that is a crap handyman and has no business touching the panel.

Breakers aren't expensive and replacing them isn't hard.  This could've been done properly ages ago.

But the breaker issue is its own problem.  Sparking and popping in the outlets wouldn't be caused by the breakers.  There's more troubleshooting that needs to be done, and by someone way more competent than the first guy.

• Droopy

The chance of fire is low course anytime your dealing with electricity its a chance. In your case its a bigger chance.  

But professionally speaking I wouldn't of rigged it in first place you would've been left with out power kn that circuit until I got the parts to fix it.

I'd call the landlord tell them fix it or your calling the houseing authorities in your area. Or gonna call the fire Marshall an see what he thinks. 

Source(s): HVAC tech

imho, this is unsafe.  if your community has a building inspector program, get them in to look at it ... my guess is the landlord will get an order to either fix it within 3 days, or have to close the unit and move you [at his expense] to comparable housing elsewhere [and if he doesn't own such housing for you to move into, you'll have a new landlord at same or lesser rent].  -- grampa

i would keep bugging your landlord about it