Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

What should I do?

I am terrified. I’m going into my 2nd year of community college with a degree in Psychology. I only picked Psychology because my sister has a degree in Psychology but I don’t plan on sticking to it because that is not what I want to do. I want to do something that I am going to love for the rest of my life as well as make decent money. It’s not like I’m not interested in anything, I’m interested in acting but have never done it before and music. However, even though I’m interested in these I have no idea what I can do as a career and make decent money. And even if I do go ahead and make that my degree I know people like my dad will say those aren’t real jobs and say things like “Why acting, we got enough actors already” and probably turn it into something political. I don’t know what to do and I’m running out of time. 

Seems to me you need to take a deep breath.  Maybe talk to a counsellor.

Quiting a year in is a waste of time snd money.

A degree is psychology can lead to a good job so I'd say to keep at it. Let go of the acting dream. Unless your willing to be a drama teacher then forget it.

So you decided to be a professional student and avoid getting a laboring type job.?  Getting out there and get your hands dirty and you can float around to find what you like and don't like by actually doing it.  Money is not everything.

. Your chances in acting are slim to none...then getting a gig that pays well...even slimmer.

. Money should not be the driver.  You will end up with a job you hate.   Just try and survive...is about the best you can do.

Talk to a counselor and may you could take a class in vocational guidance to determine where not only your interests but abilities are.

Follow your heart. If you don't, you will forever regret it. Stop worrying about what others will say. The important thing is to change your major now. That will give you time to confirm your dream or change again.

Terrified ?? Going into a war zone is terrifying. Follow your bliss.  This is a DIY project ... and you can always change your mind.