luis asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 2 months ago

How to invest $100k?

How you guys doing? I would like to know what do you guys recommend that I do with $100k?

I been thinking on investing in real estate and in stocks in the S&P 500 index funds or what other options do you guys suggest? I’m only 26 years old and I live in New York .

• Any investment I’ve made has ensured stability and security. Investment and speculation are different. Not only to have a good mentality, but also need a professional mentor to guide u.

Go see a professional. Go see more than ONE. Make an appointment to talk to a financial advisor and discuss what your options are.  That amount of money will not buy much real estate in New York--but if you bought it somewhere else, it would be enough, with some left over. But get professional advice. 

• GA41

20% short term domestic bond fund

10% short term international bond fund30% domestic index fund25% International stock index fund10% Real estate REIT5% commodity index fund

Your asset allocation is the most important investment decision you will make.  According to a study, 90% of the difference in the performance of investment funds was due to the asset allocation. Only about 6% was due to being able to pick superior stocks.  Only about 4% due to being able to time the market.

I highly recommend the book "Asset Allocation:  Managing Investment Risks" by Gibson.  It could mean a great deal of money over your lifetime if you make sound decisions while you are young.

right now there are so many answers to that one.

I'd wait for another market correction to occur and then buy PFE, KHC, and T

Maybe symbols NWN also. But who knows

Some people are telling me to buy lots of silver.?????

Place it in Vanguard Total Market Index. Each year (on the same date) move 6K into a Roth IRA in the same fund. You will retire wealthy. Do not invest in individual stocks as you will not beat the market over time.

• Steve

25k on Apple

25k on Paypal

25k on Google

25k on AMD

• kswck2

Kind of depends on what you have that 100k in Now. If in a 401k or ROTH, leave it there. You can invest it in an Index fund and leave it alone. 

If this is cash in a checking/savings account, and you make more than $7,000 this year, open a ROTH IRA and put $7,000 into it-and keep funding it at the maximum for the rest of your working life. 

BUT-don't just drop it somewhere and forget about it. Investments need to be followed and monitored. So learn about the industry, 

Ideally you open a brokerage account and you pick stocks to buy

• Rick B

What is this money?  Is it your emergency fund?  Is it retirement?  Is it in a 401(k)?  Is it in a ROTH IRA?

If it is "extra savings", do you have an emergency fund?  How long can this money be tied up?  Do you have debts that you could pay with this money?

Way too many factors to try to tell you what to do with it.

If it is "play money" that you do not need for a while, then investing in a good quality growth stock mutual fund would be my choice.  

thats up to you