Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 2 months ago

What happened to the Izharite Levites during the second Temple in the Hellenistic time?

When the maccabees recover the second Temple what happens to the Izharite group of Levites? I heard many stories, including one they were left out the Temple because they argued with another group of Levites. It is said My family is descendant of Shem Tov, He used to claim to be an Izharite Levite. We are descendants of Sephardic Jews. So, before my ancestors leave Israel to Rome in exile were they working in the Temple or they were already abolished of the service there because of a disagreement with other groups of Levites? Maybe Israelis can help me about this question. Because in America it is harder to understand. I should learn Hebrew well. 

We all went to Wall St. and with our little Arab hands, inside their pockets we managed to create something beautiful (and lucrative too!)