Alie asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

Is it normal to have frequent smelly flatulence after gallbladder removal? ?

I had my gallbladder removed June 23rd this year because of gallstones and since then I have been experiencing smelly flatulence frequently , mostly after eating.: is that normal? before the surgery they weren’t as frequent or smelly but now the smell is so bad even I can smell it. Should I be worried? 

I heard it is normal. I'm not sure why but I've read that for a while after surgery, you are supposed to get smellier flatulence. I would ask a doctor about after care tips

• Edna

I had my gallbladder removed over two years ago, and I have never experienced frequent or smelly flatulence as a result of that surgery.

Your frequent and smelly flatulence is most likely caused by the kind of food you've been eating - not from having your gallbladder removed.

Did you know that after your gallbladder is taken out, the bile produced by your liver simply flows into the small intestine instead of being stored in the gallbladder. Since bile acts as a detergent of sorts, it commonly produces diarrhea after the surgery. Some have it for up to a year after. A medication called Questran can help soak up and bind the bile to improve the diarrhea, Ask your surgeon, or family provider about using it!  RX only.

• Expat

Don’t worry! I had mine out and there were some issues I had - not smelly gas, but bouts of severe nausea. Your body takes some time to adjust. Think more carefully about what you’re eating if you’re getting gas. 

If you are worried you should contact your doctor. It's normal to discover you have IBS after you had your gallbladder removed (that happened to me too, but I've also had problems for as long as I can remember before removing my gallbladder). Reach out to your doctor and ask!

All my friends'll desert again

And I don't wanna be a loner

In my head, I can sleep when I'm dead

Baby, don't let the hype dilute ya