Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can someone explain the sale of energy drinks to someone with no ID but clearly over 16?

I have no id, I don't drive and I couldn't complete my id registration for some reason that I can't remember. I'm 6ft tall and 20 years old - nobody could mistake me for under that yet Tesco refuses to sell me energy drinks because I have no id. Can somebody please explain to me - do I absolutely, legally need ID?

It's not a matter of legally needing ID. That's the way they do business. There's no point in arguing with the staff, they've been told to do it and that's what they're doing. Many business, to cover their backs, require ID for various purchases, whether it's strictly a legal requirement or not. 

This is because it is part of the job protocol.

Source(s): Reality.

Yes, you absolutely need an ID.  The employee was following employer protocol.

If the sale is prohibited under a certain age, and you cannot show you exceed the age, that's that.  Plenty of people are under age and look older.

I am 44 and most places still ID me for smokes.

If the item has an age restriction to purchase it..  Yes, you must show ID to purchase it if the cashier asks for ID.

You dont have a "right" to buy the item.   The cashier has a right to make sure an illegal transaction is not being made.

Bring your ID.   Part of being an adult is having an ID.   If you "couldnt complete the ID registration", then you need to go down to the DMV and figure out why.

Tesco can serve or refuse to serve anyone they like provided they don't discriminate on the basis of race, sex or sexual orientation.  If they have a rule that says you need an ID to buy energy drinks, they can enforce it no matter how you look.  They used to serve you on the strength of a birth certificate, but it's easy to borrow someone else's.

It's very difficult to judge the age of teenagers.  Many decades ago (when you weren't allowed inside a pub if you were under 14), I was in a youth club pantomime and suddenly came into a lump of money.  I offered to take the entire cast down the pub and buy them a drink.  I went to the bar with a large order of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.  The landlady pointed to two diminutive girls in our group and asked if two of the soft drinks were for them.  I truthfully said they were.  I didn't point out that one of them was actually too young to be in the bar at all, and the other was the producer's daughter and the only one in the group over 18.

you don't legally need identification unless you want to do something that requires you to prove your identity

tesco won't serve you if that is the law

i've know many 6 ft 16 year olds

see how it works

• Adam

I’m not sure about Tesco but at Waitrose they’ll ID you if you look under 25, they’ll also ID the person you’re with which is stupid.

If you don’t have an ID either apply for a provisional driving license just for the ID or get a Citizens Card Online.

• Rick

that would be either a STATE law or a local law, so it depends on where you live ........