Is it worth it to go to campus in the fall?

I’m an incoming freshman at UMO and I’ll be majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I have 5 classes and of that, only one has a recitation in person. The rest are offered via remote or online modalities. I also live in Massachusetts and it’s about a 6 hour drive to get there. I’m not sure if there’s a benefit to going on campus if we all have to wear masks, food is to-go style, most of the classes are online, etc. I also have a service dog and I’m not sure if it’s humane for him to be cooped up with me in a single room all day. My options are to either go to campus, do fully remote learning at home, do a mixed set of remote courses from UMO and a local community college, or do fully remote at a community college. 

Thanks for help in advance. 

Talk to someone in the Mechanical Engineering department about the importance of being on-campus vs. doing online instruction at home. You may need to be on campus for some projects or labs. It may depend on the courses you are taking this semester, but engineering students usually have a set curriculum that gets them started on classes for their major right from the beginning. If you are mostly taking math and general education classes the first semester, then you might not need to be on campus.

The campus offers labs, libraries, art and work space for engineering, usually needed for projects. If you want to utilize these, you'll need to be near/on campus.