diana asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Should I get my budgie a friend?

I’ve had my budgie for a few months now and he’s pretty tame (he’ll step up, likes getting scratched, and will fly on to my shoulder and try to preen my hair). He’s such an goofball that I’ve been wanting to get another budgie to add to the family. But part of me is selfishly worried that they’ll want nothing to do with me once they have each other. Am I worried over nothing?

You ARE his friend. You will be able to teach him all kinds of things each day. Unfortunately, if you get him a pal, especially a female, he will spend more time with her than you and your bond will not go but will decrease. Don't worry about mating as budgies only mate when there are lots of them together.

• jean

i have a budgie by herself and she is happy enough. If u have two they do interact with each other more than u. As long as u give her a lot of attention she should be fine.

Budgies are extremely social and keeping one on its own know matter how much time you spend with it is cruel. They need company of their own kind.  If you get a handreared one then as long as you carry on spending time interacting with them both you should be fine. 

Source(s): Aviary owner with budgies