Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Deposit on rented room?

What if me and my landlord don’t come to an agreement on receiving my deposit back, what do I do?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

A security deposit is a one-time, refundable sum of money a landlord collects from a tenant in addition to their first month's rent. Collecting a security deposit is ...

• 2 months ago

You don't have to come to an agreement on it.  It is his job to figure out how much of it you are entitled to.  He gets to deduct amounts for general cleaning, carpet cleaning, any damages and rental arrears, late fees, penalties, and interest.  If you think he ripped you off, then sue him.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • G R
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

read your renters rights for the state you live in and read what your lease says about security deposit

• 2 months ago

The first thing you do is provide more information. Just saying you haven't come to an agreement isn't enough to be able to give you any answer to your question. We don't know WHY there was a disagreement--or over what issue(s). There could be many answers and many solutions--or not. But we can't tell. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You find out the law on security deposits in your state.  Agreement is not necessary, the laws are very specific about what he can do and not do.

• 2 months ago

You would have to dispute the charges in court. 

• 2 months ago

go home to mommy and forget about it.....common knowledge...take LL to court

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That will greatly depend on where in the world you are and what the situation is with regards to the deposit....end of the legal contract, you gave notice left the place clean and undamaged, owe no rent then it is simply a 'security deposit'and belongs to you.... if you live in a country where deposits are legally secured then you make a claim to the security deposit scheme, provide them with proof of everything incuding photos of when you left and they pay your deposit back, but if the landlord proves you owe rent, damaged the property or left junk/unclean part or all of your deposit will be paid to the landlord...other countries where they do not secure deposits you will need to sue the landlord in small claims court

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can sue.

The landlord has no obligation to agree with you or negotiate with you.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You lodge an appeal using the documentation you were given on moving in. No paperwork? Sue in the small claims court.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.