How to effectiviely do textbook readings?

This is one of the first times i've been given 15 pages of textbook readings and I've just been highlighting the important things but that about it? 

Any tips and tricks or what I should be doing.All answers apprecitated thanks!

Some textbooks come with questions at the end of the chapter. Read the questions before reading the chapter because they emphasize the most important items in the chapter. After you've read the chapter, answers the questions in your own words to reinforce what you have learned.

• fcas80

Highlighting is pretty passive.

Outline the material in a notebook in your own words, and the study off the outlines.  Writing your own outline forces you to think about the material, restate it, etc, etc.

Yes writing down the important things is one of the ways you can get better at comprehending it. And after that I would just keep studying over and over the important things you wrote down. You can even think of ways to memorize it like doing acronyms or even how whatever you're reading can apply to your life. You could even write your important things on flash cards if you wanted to or in like a journal. It works best when you make it fun.