Will city clean up junk and overgrowth? ?

I'm a prospective tenant in a neighborhood that is very out of shape. However, with the rental prices in my city, this is among one of the only properties that I can afford. Right across from the property is a vacant lot that is overrun with discarded furniture, piles of trash, and overgrown grass and vegetation. I imagine it would be very unpleasant to live among, much less to invite guests over. I'm wondering what of my city or county resources I can call upon to help clean up the debris, or if that is even possible. If it is, how would I go about it? 

• G R

Call your city hall and ask

It may not be owned by the city.  If they do not own it then they are not going to clean it up.

If it is not city property, no they likely will not.  

That depends entirely on where this property is, which you didn't say.  There are no international laws governing the maintenance of vacant residential lots, if that's what you were wondering.

In most cases, private properties are the responsibility of whoever owns them.  Abandoned houses and vacant lots are still owned by someone, and that's who is ultimately responsible for their upkeep.

In my town, the city would send out a cleanup crew and then go after the owner of the property to cover the costs.  But there's always a threshold that must be met for the city to do that.

• Maxi

That would depend on where in the world it is... the property owner is responsible what you can do about it depends on the laws in the country you live in...where I live a complaint to the council 'could' start them in to action, several written complains from locals is more likely to get them to start action to require the owner to clear it up and if they don't the council will get a court order which legally requires them to do it or the council will do it and charge them

that would be the responsibility of the property owner.

I DO NOT recommend that you "help" at all.  That would be trespassing.  It is private property.  The City will not clean it up.  That is not their responsibility.  However, if you photograph it and file a complaint, calling it an eye sore, the City will order the owner of the land to clean it up.  They may give the owner 30 days, more or less, probably less or 30 days max.  If the owner fails to do it, the owner would be fined and if they don't pay, the land could be foreclosed on.  Unless someone complains, the City has nothing in their file on that property to indicate that there is a problem.  If you get all the neighbors to sign a complaint, that would motivate the city even quicker.