Check if there are Grammar and Sentence mistakes?

The United States restricted the acceptance of Middle-East refugees and I thought it was not a big of a deal. However, this documentary showed that this is no different from the migrant crisis. Many troubled people from other countries (mainly Latin America) seeking an asylum and desiring the government to mercy on them.

• blank

May I suggest this as an alternative?

"The United States restricted the acceptance of Middle-East refugees and I thought it was not that big of a deal. However this documentary's focus on the plight of Latin American peoples brought the larger migrant crisis into stark relief. Many troubled peoples from around the globe are seeking asylum and desiring the government's mercy."

Note:  There was a bit of confusion built into your statement imo.  You started with Middle-East refugees, but end up talking about Latin America.  Seems your focuse is on the documentary's subject of LA people - hense the recommended re-write. 

Hope this helps