are there any states that do NOT have their own Fair housing laws (not FHA)?

Every state I have ever researched has state laws regarding fair housing including requiring reasonable disability accommodation.  State laws can sometimes have additional protections over what is required by federal law (FHA).

For example, the federal fair housing act cannot be used to request the accommodation of being allowed to smoke medical marijuana since pot is against federal law, but states that have legalized medical marijuana, may require it as a reasonable accommodation.  (I have never heard of a test case on this.  I never heard of a state law that specifically includes or excludes medical marijuana as a reasonable accommodation and it won't be clarified until it ends up in court....not every possible accommodation is listed in the law or the literature)

Another example is that the federal FHA excludes some landlords while some state laws adds more landlords in.

This is about Washington state: https://www.seattle.gov/Documents/Departments/Civi...

Update:

Do you need the link to literacy volunteers of america?  if you are illiterate, there is screen reading software that will read for you.

The title of the article is "FairHousinginWashingtonState" 

Section B1 is "What fair housing lawsapplyinWashington state and who enforces them?"

"Washington Law Against Discrimination,"

the seattle website CLEARLY educates people (or tries to in this case) about laws for the STATE...not just seattle.

Update 2:

REALLY?  2 people with deplorable reading comprehension skills...i never said states were not subject to federal law...states can have MORE laws that add to federal law protections.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Kini
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, every state is subject to federal laws. Why are you asking?

• 2 months ago

Your link references the city of Seattle, not the entire State of Washington.

Seattle has some of the most aggressive landlord-tenant laws in the country (meaning laws that favor tenants, not landlords). As a result, most investors will steer clear of any property within the city limits. That reduces the supply of rental properties and drives up prices until the potential profit is so astronomical that investors feel like they can deal with the BS, pay their attorneys, and still come out ahead.

As for your actual question - whether or not there are states that don't impose any restrictions beyond federal law - I don't know. You can google that as easily as I can. If you're serious about buying a rental property and want to find a location with landlord friendly laws then hire an attorney to help you find ideal locations. If you can't afford to hire an attorney then you can't afford to buy rental properties.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.