Kelley asked in PetsHorses · 4 months ago

Am i misunderstanding the term 'bomb proof' when it is applied to a horse?

in my understanding, 'bomb proof' means the horse is completely safe for all ages to ride...isn't that short sighted,considering a bee could sting the horse, causing it to buck off his/her rider?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Snezzy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

To test a horse for bombproofness, get a large umbrella and open it in front of the horse. Watch the horse go up into the air or take off in terror. "I thought he was bomb proof," you will scream, as your friend or perhaps you or your child flies through the air.

Supposedly in New York City it is illegal to open or close an umbrella in the presence of a horse. Must be true fact because I found it on the Internet.

• Amber
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

Yes, a 'bomb proof' horse is one that has been exposed to many situations to the point it no longer reacts to them in the way another horse might. NO horse is 100% safe to ride for all ages. 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Yes you are misunderstanding.  

"Bomb proof" means the horse has been desensitized to all the things they are likely to encounter in daily life and has a personality that doesn't spook easily when exposed to something new or unexpected.   

In no way is a bomb proof horse guaranteed to be calm and predictable 100% of the time in 100% of possible scenarios.  That's just an unrealistic expectation when it comes to horses.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.