Diana
Lv 7
Diana asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

Can vinegar kill an unwanted bush?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Probably not. 

Vinegar burns foliage because it is a mild acid. So it will certainly discolor the leaves you spray, and they may fall off.

But it has no systemic properties - that is it works only on contact. So most shrubs/bushes/trees will recover, and produce new growth. 

Vinegar works "fair" as a herbicide for annual weeds. But most perennials won't be too phased by it and will come back. 

My advice if you're trying to kill an unwanted woody plant is to use a herbicide containing Triclopyr (look for the fine print on the label). Sometimes this is labeled as "brush killer" or "poison ivy killer", and spray the foliage.

Cutting down the plant, and painting or dabbing herbicide concentrate on the stump is another way to do it. 

There aren't really any organic herbicides that are very effective on perennials in my experience. 

Source(s): Certified Arborist
  • Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I use 20% vinegar (bought from a nursery) to kill weeds, so I'm sure if you poured enough of it on the roots of a bush, that might kill it.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No try Veet or a razor.

• WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

over a period of time possibly

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Vinegar can be a stinger for a lot of growth. Call your

local ag extension agent in your county. They will tell

you what you need to know.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I believe it stings. So not used.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Vinegar would be better than milk, but you would have better luck with corn oil.  

• 2 months ago

Better to cut down to the ground and then dig the rest out.  Vinegar isn't going to do the job.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Maybe eventually. But you can buy brushwood killer. Cut the bush down and apply the chemical. Or light a fire on top of the cut ends.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It`s also a way to scare her friends away from you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.