Justine asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

self medicating alcohol for depression?

I dont have insurance or barely any money so I resort to alcohol to self medicate and make myself feel normal. without alcohol i feel worthless and like committing suicide. Do you judge me for doing this?

Do weed instead and you will feel a lot better

You're not very smart? Are you? There is help out there for free. Just open those eyes if that little brain can manage that task.

Please tell your family or a therapist/doctor if you are struggling with mental health.

If your a God believer give AA a try.  If your not try the alternative recovery programs such as Secular Organizations for Sobriety, Lifering, Smart Recovery. There are a few others.  Good luck with this.

• Ludwig

This is something a LOT of people do.   You need to get a prescription for fluoxetine (prozac) or something similar.  When you are capable of doing so, get to a gym and ask to be shown how to use the weight training machines.  This does have a genuine effect on your mental health, no idea why but it is something that is observed clinically.  Get a part time job doing something physical.  Maybe working nights in a warehouse unloading bay or something where you don't bother to think much.

~~~ @KLB:  When pharmacologists use the term 'depressant', they do not mean something which makes you depressed!  The pharmacological effect of alcohol is to DEPRESS THE ANXIETY CENTRES, it is a central nervous system depressant.  That is why it makes you feel good.    It also has a stimulant effect on another part of your metabolism,  be careful using medical terms.

I read your other questions and, no,  I do not judge you.  I am a sinner myself, as we all are.  I urge you to ask Jesus to save you.  He died for your sins and rose again that you might avoid  hell and have a home in heaven.  Please read the New Testament for more information.  Start with the Gospel of John.  Pray.  I will pray for you too. 

• KLB

big mistake.  alcohol is a depressant, causing even more depression, as well as all the other problems caused by alcohol.

That's not "self-medicating"-- it just means you're an alcoholic. The fact that you don't recognize your alcoholism IS the problem only guarantees you'll fail to overcome that addiction. Go to AA.