Christians, is the modern world the same as it was in Noah’s time?

I read in the bible that people were wicked and that the world was filled with violence.  Or were the people alive back then worse and was the world more violent than it is today?  I was always fascinated by that particular biblical event but never could find out much about it.  

11 Answers

Relevance
  • User
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

1) Christians, is the modern world the same as it was in Noah’s time?

Er...no.

In several ways.

2) I read in the bible that people were wicked and that the world was filled with violence.  Or were the people alive back then worse and was the world more violent than it is today?

Generally speaking: yes.

Even under the first century Roman Empire (the New Testament period) there was far more violence and misery than in today's Western cultures. A human life was deemed to be of little worth compared to our modern perspective. Some examples:

- slaves were routinely assigned to jobs that were practically guaranteed to end in death

- anyone who spoke against the government **in any way** would be charged, convicted and executed in a horribly and intentionally tortuous away

- the head of household had power of life and death over others in the household, including his wife, his children and his slaves

- unauthorized religions were often suppressed violently, at the will of the local Governor of the province; also often oppressed financially, property confiscated, etc. purely on religious grounds

• BJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Absolutely

Jesus said about people in Noah’s day. They were eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away. Matthew 24:38, 39

What was wrong was their preoccupation with everything else to the exclusion of listening to God when he spoke through his servant Noah, a preacher of righteousness. Because they did not listen, when the Flood came it swept them all away into destruction.

Many of those who died in the Flood no doubt considered themselves NICE PEOPLE, not being involved in the violence that filled society in those days. (But just being nice did not save them.)

By their apathy they condoned the evil of their day. The crucial thing was that they did not run to God; they did not listen when God’s servant spoke. So they did not take the proper steps for survival.

• 2 months ago

The world has always been filled with violence, and the 'Noah's Ark' story is a myth.

You can't find out much about that 'event' because the only place you would be able to find out about it is in the book that contains the myth (along with a great many others).

• 2 months ago

No remaiming records, so we do not know how bad back then.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • jimmy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Noah's ark story is a myth. Six hundred year old men can't build arks. To all the lunatic Christians who gave me the TD's. Bring me a six hundred year old man, I'll give him an axe and prove he can't build an ark.

• From the way things are, for the moment they seem to be the same as in the old days, however, you did not read in the Revelation of the Holy Bible, that, the worst is yet to happen, with earthquakes, tidal waves, storms, etc. ..., but people do not make any case to convert, until the end of the world as a human system, with nuclear weapons. Then there will finally be God's judgment!

• 2 months ago

You are right in your assessment: Genesis 6:11 faithfully reports that the world of Noah’s time was filled with violence. Indeed, in verse 13, God plainly states that this is why He was going to bring the earth to an end and give man a fresh start. One thing that existed then - which does not exist now - is the Nephilim. They were the offspring of disobedient angels and human women. This demonic nature gave them a strength and attitude unprecedented. They contributed mightily to the level of violence already in existence. Simply put, they were the violent gang bangers of the time.

But the violence was off the charts then and today our society – worldwide – is running a close second, threatening to catch up. Folks back then could not have failed to witness this violence but they did not connect the dots even though Noah – a preacher of righteousness – tried to help them. It is the same today – people cannot fail to see the violence: its level, degree, depravity, and fierceness. But they are not connecting the dots – even though there are “preachers of righteousness” trying to help them do so. They are taking no note – just as those in Noah’s day took no note. In many ways, humans today are much more violent. And they do not need the superhuman strength of Nephilim to carry it out. They are not directly exposed to violence of superhuman bullies, but they are indirectly exposed because the demons are inciting humans to carry out violence. 2 Corinthians 4:4 says Satan is the god of this world; John 14:30 says Satan is the ruler of this world; Revelation 12:9 says Satan is misleading the entire inhabited earth.

In many ways the modern world is the same; in many ways it is different. It is different because the violence is worse.

Hannah J Paul

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The world continues to move on.   But underlying society does not change

• 2 months ago

IMHO, probably not.  I mean only eight people were considered righteous in God's eyes at that time.  I would hope there would be a least a few hundred today, if not a lot more, but who really knows?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

God speaking to Noah...

Genesis 6:13 KJV — And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Jesus speaking to his apostles.....

Matthew 24:37-39 KJV — But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

His point was that in both cases, men were ignoring God and the warning signs of his coming judgment and imminent doom.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.