Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 6 months ago

Should I help pay for this girl's new phone?

I recently met a girl for a date at a lake. We went kayaking together. She brought her phone along and it got wet during the trip. Her phone is now completely busted. I've only known her for a week or two, but she is asking me to help pay for a new phone. I really like her and I feel bad about her phone, but at the same time, it feels a bit inappropriate for her to ask me for money this early in our relationship. I don't know how I should respond to her request. Help?

No, you should not.

If she done the damage herself then she should buy her own phone. You shouldn't just buy her a new phone just because you like her.

Get a job and pay for her phone. 

You absolutely do NOT need to help pay for her phone. She was the one who decided to take it on the kayak. If she had any brains in her head she would have left it where it was safe. Just tell her 'No'. You are not responsible for her stupid choice. And, just putting this out there, if she has no problem with demanding money from you after only a week of knowing you, drop her. She is going to cause you more grief than you need. 

It was her phone and her responsibility to take care of it. Why would you help pay for a new one?

"It got wet"? How? If you dropped it into water you should pay, but if you played no part in its demise, why should you? I suppose it would be a nice gesture for you to contribute, especially if you wish to communicate with her by phone (text, etc.). On the other hand you don't really want her to think you are going to give her money every time she has an accident. 

Is she not insured? On household insurance, for example?