Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

I can't concentrate reading?

When I get given something to read, I just can't. My mind starts to wonder and think about other stuff and I just have to keep re reading the sentence, which I don't even end up understanding. 

Remove / Eliminate distractions and if needed, take notes of what you're reading.

This isn't that unusual, especially if the reading material isn't interesting or entertaining.

If it's something you have to read, there are techniques to try.

Read it out loud, as if you had a bright 13-year-old listening. Give it some color, emphasize the right words, etc.

Outline it as you read. Each paragraph is there for a reason. Write down what the paragraph you just read was about (and a point or two supporting it?) before reading onward. Reread it if you have to. You are not only making yourself stay on track but also creating a pretty efficient study guide.

Read in a different environment. Sit up straight, your chair tucked in at a table, ideally in a room that's slightly cool. Sprawled on a bed or comfortable chair is probably the worst way to absorb material.

Read at a different time of day. Your energy and attention wax and wain--read when they're high.

Reward yourself, but not just for time. Reading without absorbing for X minutes gets no reward. Reading and making yourself pay attention the whole time does. (Don't make it "bad" food for every reward or you may regret being a better student.)

• Andrew

Thanks for taking the time to let me know. Did you have a question? 

"When you "get given" something to read? I'm not familiar with that expression, but it sounds like something a person from West Virginia who doesn't own a pair of shoes might say. 

Does your mind start to "wonder' or "wander"? 

I'm sure that people will come out of the woodwork to tell you that you have ADHD or some other made up nonsense affliction, but the truth is that you're having this problem because you were never afforded the opportunity to acclimatize yourself to reading, probably because your parents failed you in that regard. 

If you want to change things, all you can do is stick with it and over time things will improve. Try not to get frustrated because that will only make things worse. Start out small. Read something that you think will likely interest you. Find a comfortable, quiet place to read. Pick a time that works best for you. Make sure that there aren't any distractions - no TV, no music, leave your phone in another room and make sure that you won't be able to overhear anything that will break your concentration. Read for 15 minutes. Then the next day read for 20 minutes. Then 25. Then 30. And so on. The following week start at an hour and remain steady with that for a month. Keep that up for three months, maybe taking Friday and Saturday off and making up for it on Sunday doing an hour in the afternoon and an hour in the evening. 

You do that for three months and you'll be in much better shape. 

First routine your daily life and try to follow  that .

How much time do you spend on social media. There’s some merit behind the theory that social media is shortening our attention spans.

Anyway, turn off your technology and either listen to instrumental music or read out loud to yourself, which tricks you into giving it more attention. 

It sounds as though you lack any sort of mental discipline.