Anonymous

When job hunting can beggars still be choosers?

In a down turned economy with millions out of work is it smart to be picky?  The choice between feeding your family and feeding your pride by turning down a low wage job should be a no-brainer, right?

Some experts are telling people to “swallow their pride” and take whatever they can get to stay afloat another day.  Other’s are telling people that if they have expertise they shouldn’t settle for minimum wage.

What’s your take on this and why?

• H

I still have my job at Dillard's. Although I am only part time, I have room to be a bit picky since I saved up from the time I was furloughed receiving unemployment. I didn't throw away all that money in one go like some people do.

If I were to be in a tight spot, I would take whatever I get. This is coming from someone with a BS in Environmental Science. Some interviewers have told me not to take it personal if I get rejected because of COVID-19. They explained to me that some people had their jobs cancelled so they had more job seekers applying. I don't know if they are just saying that to make me feel better but either way I have to keep looking. We are all getting screwed right now.

• Alex

When you're currently employed, you have room to be as picky as you want.  If you don't get the job you're after, you simply keep working the existing job.

For the unemployed, priority #1 should be to get ANY job (even flipping tacos or mopping floors).  Then, start thinking about how to find something better.

My need for money to survive definitely takes dominance in any decision.  I will take a crap job if that is all I get offered when I need money.  I can always quit it when something "better" comes along.  I definitely would not stop looking.

This is one reason that turnover is so high in low-pay jobs.  People work because they have to not because they love the job and are satisfied with it.  So they dump it when they can.

Something is better than nothing.  Hunger and poor are not fun.  Been there (a long time ago, sure, but you don't forget).