Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Why is the military paid so poorly?

Our military budget (700+ billion) is by FAR the largest in the world and I've heard money is often wasted on things we don't need. Why don't we budget properly like other nations such as Russia (44 billion) and China (224 billion), then use the excess money to pay the men and women in service?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They are not paid poorly.  We essentially have a mercenary military and many join for the pay and all the benefits.    Not like the days of the draft where you got a few hundred bucks a month,  a bed in a barracks,  food in the chow hall and hardly left base for anything.  

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Tradition............................

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

they get paid A LOT. they just use up their money very fast! like how fuel burns

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You speak for Yourself I was happy getting paid on a regular basis i have never been Unemployed and Retired at 55 on a Great pension

In WW2 europe we used to say Americans have only 3 Problems

Overpaid

Oversexed and Over here

the Average GI in the UK never fired a shot in Anger from January 1942 to 8 June 1944

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You are such a moron.. You have to count 30 days vacation each year with all pay and benefits, Cheap and free travel anywhere a military plane flies if there is a empty seat on it, TOTALLY FREE MEDICAL CARE, Extra Money for Housing, and Extra money if you have a family.. Very Cheap Cost if you are married and have a baby, no where close to the thousands in civ life. 

'

You want to talk about WASTED MONEY... HOW MUCH ACTUAL WORK has the DEMOCRITS DONE OVER THE LAST 3 1/2 years.. How much work have they done in Washington DC over the LAST 6 MONTHS... How much Money of taxes payer money have they spent traveling on vacations etc. over the last 3 years.. How much did they spend to party in P.R after the Hurricane they had there instead of helping people.. 

'

You Have to be a DEMOCRIT to ask as stupid question as you asked.. 

'

Do a little research called HOW MUCH BENEFITS do people in the MILITARY HAVE and WHAT ARE THEY.. Not just how much is the PAY... and the PAY goes up as your get promoted.. Like any job... and its much better than MOST STARTING OUT CIVILIAN JOBS..

'

Some say UNDERPAID... THOSE are the ones who never made a carreer out of it or just didn't apply themselves to get promoted... 

Lets end by saying.. I Spent my time in , RETIRED, and am now also on Social Security.. My Wife did the same, WE are both in our MID 60's Making over 50 grand a year for not doing anything except for whatever we want to do, WE pay absolutely 0 when it comes to medical care as our MILITARY RETIREMENT with Medicare PAYS 100%.. 

'

We travel many places free on Military flights, and have a great time.. we have been to over 100 different countries... HOW many have you been to..

• 2 months ago

Tell me of a job where someone with only a high school education can earn more. 

• 2 months ago

Cause they don't make any products to sell

• 2 months ago

ENTRY level pay is relatively low, but still the highest paying job most 18 years olds can get. Plus since the military provides housing, food, and even uniforms those people can put almost their entire salary in savings and build up a good financial foundation if they choose to do so.

for people who serve 4-8 years they leave the military with a variety of benefits - some directly from the military and some indirectly based on the perks that many businesses and organizations offer to service personal. They have additional job opportunities and can often get into jobs such as police/fire jobs that are harder for civilians to get into.

People who make the military a career are going to be promoted to higher ranks which come with higher pay that can support a family with a middle-class lifestyle.

People who reach 20 years of service can retire with a pension and medical benefits for the rest of their life. For someone who enlists at age 18-20 that means they can retire at age 38-40 and get a pension check every month for the rest of their life.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the military doesn't pay well. The entry level pay for a private might be low compared to a full time job but most people do pretty well financially over the course of a military career.

• 2 months ago

Er --the military budgets of Russia and China are so low because they pay their service personnel very poorly .?

This isn't rocket science .

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because our distributors are funny and used to frivolous spending.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.