Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Do masks make coronavirus worse?

Basically what im getting at is do people who wear masks go out more often because they feel "safe" ?   And because they feel safe with the mask do they wash their hands less?  Etc?

Update:

All i know is there are a lot of elderly people scared to death to leave their houses but if they gotta mask they feel brave

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Not at all. People who wear masks are more aware of the disease, and they keep their distance too. The people without masks who do not care about others and walk around close to other people are the problem. 

• 1 month ago

In countries and areas where covid-19 is under control people have to be able to go out and work and meet friends, but safely. 

Lockdown isn’t sustainable indefinitely.

Droplet spraying happens when we talk, not just coughing and sneezing, the louder we talk the more droplets we put out.

If everyone wears a good quality mask around other people droplets won’t get into the air and onto surfaces, so even if people aren’t washing their hands as often as they should, there’s still a reduced risk of transmission.

Social distancing is the right thing to do around someone who isn’t wearing a mask; you just don’t know if they’re deliberately not wearing one as a statement and maybe ignoring other precautions too.

However, wearing masks, apart from being a sign that we care about each other and the nurses and doctors who took the brunt of the pandemic, and all the people who have died so far, is a very good reminder to all of us that things are not ‘back to normal’ yet, and we do still have to careful.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No they do not

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Masks are really a "safety blanket" for most people, and many people are doing this based on misinformation & fear.

I was actually in a line at a take-out restaurant and a person in their 30's-40's, was standing  50 feet away from the person in front of her..because that person was not wearing a mask.  The person in front wasn't coughing, sneezing or had any symptoms that made it appear she was sick. You hear that Social Distancing is NOT a replacement for a mask, you must do both.  Yet I was only 3 feet away from her and because I had a mask she didn't mind.

It is people like that where the Misinformation becomes a problem.  A mask can help some people in some cases.  But a percentage of people get so focused on the mask they forget other basic steps that are actually proven to help prevent the spread more than a single mask could.

Such as Washing your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.  Don't touch your face.  Don't go out if you think you are sick or were exposed. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Robert
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Masks help although do not prevent the virus.  Personal habits and stupidity such as going into risky areas under the false confidence of someone with limited common sense even with a mask increases their chance of infection.

• 1 month ago

No, they contribute to safety by making it more difficult to spread the virus. People who are alert enough to wear masks tend to be alert enough to wash their hands as well. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Maybe in your world. But a mask helps to prevent the spread of the virus. I doubt it makes people carefree as you imply.

• Pyrus
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It's not 100% safe, but it certainly is "safer". Big difference. I always wear mask and always wash my hands. It's only because it is safer that I do this. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.