Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

I'm getting sad because I've recently discovered we have no free will?

We have no free will (according to the physics, in which present, past and future already exist and because of determinism).

I think life is meaningless now, what can I do?

Update:

The problem it has been proved that we perform an action before our consciousness "awares" us of it.

So we don't control our actions, rather, our actions control us...

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The true meaning of human life is.... Self Realization. Love /hate, Good/evil, happiness/sorrow, positive/ negative, virtue/sin, soul/ body, heaven /hell.. are the creations of God.... So, by pure faith in God we can understand our eternal nature... which relates to our soul as our soul is the Part and Parcel of.... Supreme Soul...."God" ... Actually, we are spiritual souls but we are in human body. We are from the spiritual world. God has sent us on the earth...only for self realization.. as our souls are not as pure as, they have to be... So, God has given us human life where our body feels happiness as well as suffers pain. Therefore, we souls are here... to achieve... the level of purity and to become pure soul.... we should make an effort to understand the deeper meaning of unconditional love for all living beings.... in every situation... 

Moreover, the eternal nature of our soul is to Love God...

• 1 month ago

Life did not change for you merely because you stopped believing that you have free will, did it? I mean, you still enjoy the same things, you still have purposes which you strive to attain etc. Life is not meaningless, the concept of "free will" is. 

• 1 month ago

First of all, the statement, "We don't control our actions, rather, our actions control us." makes no sense. 

Secondly, if we perform an action before we are consciously aware of it, it doesn't mean that free will doesn't exist; it just means that our subconscious minds are making decisions before our conscious minds realize it.

I've been interacting with people that say the types of things that you say here long enough to know that my efforts to convince them otherwise usually have little effect, so if that's the case with you as well, I have another idea that might give you something to live for. Consider this; have you ever enjoyed watching a movie? I'm sure you realize that by the time you watched the movie, everything that happened in it was already predetermined. The fact that the end was already determined, and you had no control over it, probably didn't detract, the slightest bit, from your ability to enjoy it. So just look at your life as you would look at a movie. Aren't you interested to see what you will do next?

• Git
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Were you happy before you discovered that there is no free will?

Your ability to have free will or not has not changed since men ‘never’ had free will. What has changed is your mind thinking life is meaningless.

It is like the nursery rhyme by poetess Katherine Craster:

"A centipede was happy - quite!

Until a toad in fun

Said, "Pray, which leg moves after which?"

This raised her doubts to such a pitch,

She fell exhausted in the ditch

Not knowing how to run."

Nothing has changed from the time the centipede was happily running around till the toad’s question. The centipede’s legs have not increased nor decreased in number or length. Only its mind has changed.

You have taken something that is there all along, pondered too much about it that you have forgotten how to live.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Sometimes our free will is pushed and taken not gonna lie. We still have it you have to never let go of it 

• Kate
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

We have plenty of freewill but we also have responsibilities and consequence for our actions.

• Liz
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Obviously you exerted your free will when you got up today to post this. Free will involves choices/choices.

Life isn't meaningless. Jesus said at Matthew 5:3 “Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them. " 

HOW THE PRINCIPLE CONTRIBUTES TO A MEANINGFUL LIFE: Jesus indicated that humans have an innate spiritual need. We long to know the answers to such questions as these: Why are we here; Why is there so much suffering on this earth; Does God really care about us; Is there life after death; We need to know the answers to such questions in order to have a meaningful life. Jesus knew that there is only one reliable source that can answer those questions—God’s Word.

• You can't be sad because you discovered you don't have free will.   If you don't have free will, you're sad because you have no choice.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There is purity and exactitude in Energy, and the soul in Mater, or the Spirit-Matter Universe, has agency, the ability to increase in Light, Love, Truth, and so on.  So you can learn to earn, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_o... learn to love, "For Couples Only" and "Finding a Higher Love," and learn to love God, and colleagues as Self (Self-realization in God as I-Thou).

• 2 months ago

Unless someone forced you to ask this question, you have freewill and determinism is bologna

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.