Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Would this be considered neglect?

My 5 month old son was crying this morning at like 4:30 AM, i got up to make him his bottle. It was mostly dark in the room while i was feeding him with a very dim light. After about 10 minutes i felt the bottle get lighter, i checked it and was like “ok great hes done!” I put the bottle aside, and put him in his crib. When i we to wash it, there was like half an ounce left! Should i have fed him that last bit of it? Can this be neglect? 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only if your son is obviously not putting on weight should you worry about the occasional small amount left in the bottle. Just think, women who breast feed never know exactly how much their babies drink. Most babies sort themselves out in the way of feeding and how much to take.

• L
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

It appears he drank all he needed.  Empty the bottle, go back to bed and move on.

• 1 month ago

It's not neglect at all!  Your baby will eat as much as he needs to.  And please ignore the others on here that are saying this is a silly question- it isn't at all.  Sometimes you need confirmation to things you are unsure about either to make sure you're doing things accordingly, such as with this occasion.  

• Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I can't believe you're worrying because your 5-month-old son left ONE-HALF OUNCE of milk in his bottle?? That's not neglect!  Your son had simply finished drinking all the milk he wanted, and he didn't want any more. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If he was crying from hunger and you tossed him back in his crib and shut the door, that would be neglect.

• GB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If there is some milk left, it means he had enough, even if at another time your baby drunk that amount. Some say a good thing about bottle-feeding is being able to tell how much the baby is getting. The down-side, is it can cause anxiety if the baby doesn't  'finish'. If you were breastfeeding you couldn't tell if the baby has less than he did last time.

• 1 month ago

I cannot even begin to understand having so little common sense that I'd need to come up with this question, much less asking anyone else.

• J
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

How on earth is that neglect? The baby was done with the bottle. It’s not like you snatched it away from him while he was screaming. If he didn’t finish it, it was by his choice. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is not neglect.

If the baby seemed done and was satisfied enough to go back to sleep  - then the baby didn't need that last ounce.

The amount a baby needs each day will vary by a few ounces.  On some days, you will offer a bottle and the baby drinks all.  On other days, you will offer the same amount and the baby might fall back to sleep before drinking all of it.  This is NORMAL and not neglectful in any way.  Never force feed a satisfied baby.  (This is especially true for night time feedings.)

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No dear. Only when you intentionally underfeed the baby.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.