Why did Yahoo take away the comment board? Aren't they disregarding freedom of speech?

We are not China who are communistic. I can understand threats being deleted, however during US election time it seem ironic and convenient. Do you think Yahoo will be sued?

First Amendment

The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices.  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.  It also guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government.   

14 Answers

Relevance
  • If yahoo had the courage of its convictions it wouldn’t be silencing opposing views! Marxist Yahoo posing as arbitrators of free speech! Dividing America! 

• 1 month ago

It was driving them crazy the majority of posts are pro Trump.. They also don't like many people were pointing out how biased all their articles are...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

This a privately owned site and the First Amendment does not apply here.  When you joined here you agreed to abide by the terms and conditons that you skimmed over without reading.   Your freedom here is to abide by the rules or go somewhere else.

• 1 month ago

MAYBE IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS ALWAYS TELLING LIBERALS THAT THEY ARE IDIOTS

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Probably because the comments pointed out their leftest bias. 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Probably to protect itself against criticism and litigation. Too many are too dumb to realize that statements on comment boards represent only the views of the commenters and not the views of the company that runs the site. 

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I believe when Trump issued the social media executive order to stop oversight and allow election interference and his personal lies and false claim wrath, one way to comply with the order is remove what you do not want to monitor. The timing of Yahoo matches it.

Yahoo is a private enterprise owned by Verizon. They do not have to allow user comments. They do not want to monitor and take anything in the comments down, so they delete all the comments instead. 

There is NO First Amendment violation. Verizon is not a government entity, nor does the government have to keep open every forum. With every right of the US Constitution also comes both responsibilities and restrictions. No right is absolute.

On freedom of religion, for example, withholding life saving treatment from your child because of religious reasons is illegal. 

On freedom of speech, lying under oath, inciting a riot, contracting a murder, threats and harassment, copyright infringement, protesting at a funeral, and more, are not protected. 

On freedom of the press, libel or advocating overthrow of the government is still illegal.

On right to assemble, not everywhere at all times. A group cannot block access to an abortion clinic or hospital for example, even peacefully. A group cannot stop traffic on public roads. Permits may be required.

It also doesn't prevent all retribution. For a short time I was a Libertarian. I determined it was advocating anarchy and is wrong in its extreme. For a short time I was against taxation. Now instead I am for better controls on government spending. That's not the same thing. 

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

they could care less about 'free speech' or 'truth', they have a business to run .................

TRUMP 2020 !! ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

• 1 month ago

I guess they removed comments because they are too lazy to handle reports. 

So better than seeing those reports and deleting abusive comments they decided to remove the feature. 

No comments - no reports - no work 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

How would you sue for a service that you get free?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.