Leaving Hired Photographer?

If you hire a photographer and pay them and do everything your supposed to and they show up but you leave, are they obligated to stay and take pictures of the remaining guest?

• John P

They are obliged to fulfil their contract. When you book a photographer the nature and length of the coverage is discussed, and probably a few price options are offered depending on how extensive the coverage should be, and when the photographer should arrive and depart.

The situation you propose (a principal person departing in the middle of an event) seems unusual in the general context of, say, a wedding or a christening or a bar mitzvah.   Generally the party goes on long after the photographer has done all that is required and has departed, after checking with the person in charge that there is no more to do.

I believe that while I agree with many answers so far, the key point that they are getting wrong is were they contracted to photograph you, or others, or both.  That is something that I have never seen in a contract, and I've done many weddings and events.  What is key is what was the time frame that you hired and contracted them for.  If they were hired for six hours, and you left three hours in, they still need to be there and taking photos for those other three hours.  

Source(s): Numerous contracts that I and clients have signed.

I was going to hire the photographer to take pictures of guests as well. So I guess if I did leave and guest were still there they would have to take more pictures. 

• keerok

IT will depend on what your contract with the photographer is. Is he required to shoot everyone in the event or just those people around you?

• Sumi

If you hire a photographer to photograph an event, then the photographer should stay and photograph the event.  You leaving is irrelevant.

Now, if you hired a photographer to photograph YOU during an event and NOT the event itself.  Then once you leave what is the photographer to photograph?  Of course, in this scenario, the photographer can leave.  However, I think in most cases that the photographer would at least get in contact with you and discuss the situation.  After all, how is the photographer to know that you left just to run an errand and will be back soon? 

Similarly, the person who hired the photographer should communicate with the photographer to avoid problems.  It's just common sense.

did you hire them to photograph you, the event or both

• Robert

The are obligated to photograph according to contract.  Did it specify who pictures were to be taken of, quantity of photos and length of time at the venue?  If it said to photo you and you leave, their job is done.  If it says will photo you and guests from 2 until 4 they should remain and take shots until 4