Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Why don't morbidly obese people lose weight?

Tell a fat person to quit smoking because it'll give them cancer and they will, but tell a person to lose weight because it'll give them diabetes and kill them by age 50 and they do nothing

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Tell a person to stop smoking and they won't, because that's not how addiction works but ok.

Usually they do want to lose weight but it's emotionally hard for a lot of them because eating has become a big part of their life and comfort, it's not as easy as it seems to someone who can't relate to that.

• 1 month ago

Some of them do. I've seen amazing weight loss transformations in some people who used to be morbidly obese.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Same reason morbidly stupid people don't lose their stupid.

Why don't dumb people get intelligent when we tell you to?  Being dumb can be a serious life-threating condition yet you do nothing about it. 

You've obviously lost some weight in the cranial area. 

Being dumb often leads to not living long enough to be obese or 50. Yet you do nothing about it.  

Stop being dumb...RIGHT NOW! lol

Get intelligent...RIGHT NOW!

Get a bigger brain...RIGHT NOW!

Gain weight in your brain...RIGHT NOW!!!

Get a clue...RIGHT NOW! 

LOL

More people die prematurely from dumbness and stupidity than obesity, so your chances are high that you won't even see 50.

Hey dumbass, I'm just insulting you in order to help you.  That's what your dumbass thinks right? lol 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think it's a whole host of reasons, not just A, B, or C. 

By the way, you can take the word "Motivation" and deconstruct it to better understand the word. 

-Motive: a reason to do something.

-Ation: denoting an action or instance towards.

Simply put, to have motivation is to have a reason to do something. Sometimes, people have no reason to do something. Or if they understand motivation (a reason to do something) they don't understand what happens if they do not do something. Understand? So, they can write down a list of pros and cons for and against doing something, and then, write pros and cons for or against not doing something. 

Now, it's that simple, but how many people know this simple trick of motivation?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Just by the way, to those who say "Oh these people have a genetic condition" - nobody was fat at Auschwitz. Sure, they weren't healthy either: but they weren't fat.

• Marc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You know what, why didnt they think of that?  Its just so simple. (rolls eyes)

A lot of these people have underlying issues where they use food as a coping mechanism.  It is a mental and physical disorder.  They need interventional help.  Check out the show my 600 lb life. Fascinating insight into the world of morbid obesity

• 1 month ago

Because they consume vast amounts of calories! 🙄

Lv 7
    1 month ago

Overweight people lose weight when they choose to do so or when their health gets to a point that it occurs without their desire (because they are no longer able to over-indulge). For some who desire to be a healthy size, their desire is not stronger than their desire for the type and quantity of foods that caused their weight gain. It's their business, though. 

.Your comparison to telling someone to quit smoking, is nonsense. Plenty of people smoke and some of them are overweight. Smokers these days tend to quite more due to the high cost of cigarettes and the limited areas where smoking is allowed, than because they fear cancer or any other possible illness related to smoking..

If you don't want to be obese, don't over-consume. What other people choose to do, is up to them. Plenty of people who are an appropriate weight for their height, still have all kinds of health issues (including diabetes). I'll relay your idea that diabetes will "kill them by age 50" to the person I know who has been morbidly obese for decades, is a non-compliant diabetic, and is now 78 years old and not at deaths's door (not healthy, but not at death's door). 

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I seriously doubt they will quit smoking. It's only when they get cancer or something else really bad that they will even consider stop smoking or losing weight.

• Liz
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sometimes obesity can be hereditary or it could be environmental. This doesn't rule out obesity because of greed. People have to be motivated to change.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.