Is this a stupid idea or will this work?

From day one my baby has been sleeping with me. He’s now one years old and he won’t sleep in his crib. I know it’s because he wants to be with me because every time I pick him up after he cries and put him in bed with me, he’ll fall asleep instantly. Nothing works to get him to sleep in his crib all night. I tried EVERYTHING. I was thinking about drinking an energy drink and staying up all night because I’ll be wide awake and when he cries in the middle of the night, I would be less likely to put him in bed with me because I put him in bed with me so I can get him to fall asleep quicker. So if I’m wide awake then I have more energy to keep putting him back in his crib in trouble middle of the night. Is this a bad idea? Do you think it’ll work?

• L

He MUST be sleeping in a crib in his own room.  Put a crib, in his room, install a night light and a sound machine.  Once he's warm and has a full tummy - put him in his crib and LEAVE THE ROOM.  If he wakes up - just peak in on him but do NOT go in and pick him up.................LEAVE HIM BE..............he will eventually just go back to sleep.

• Edna

What you need to do is put the baby in his crib in his room every night from now on, turn off the light, close the door, walk out of the room and don't go back - not even if he cries. He'll soon learn that he has to sleep in his own bed; and not with you. 

You made your mistake on Day One, when you began letting him sleep with you.   

That's a really stupid idea.  Just set up his crib as a side sleeper, and gradually move it from your room.

No that's a stupid idea.  You keep the crib in your room for a while so you don't have to walk as far and slowly move the crib to his room.

• LizB

That sounds like a great way to drive yourself to dangerous levels of exhaustion. How will you be safe behind the wheel of a car with your baby in his seat when you don't sleep more than 2 or 3 hours a night? How can you make good decisions at work when you're completely drained, or avoid petty fights with your spouse? Chronic exhaustion also has negative effects on your long-term health, too, since it will make you more prone to weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, and more.

Look, if you want to crib train your baby, there are two approaches: 1) A slow and gentle transition, starting with the easiest sleep period to get him down for and working toward all night, which can take weeks or even months. Or 2) the rip-the-bandaid off approach, where you just accept that for several nights he's going to cry and be unhappy, until he learns that his crib is where he sleeps now. Which approach you try is up to you, but postponing either may result in your kid still sleeping in your bed by the time he's in Kindergarten. And of course some parents do bedshare that long, but it only works out if everyone in the bed is getting a full, restful night's sleep, parents included.

You do need to train him to sleep in his crib for the babies own safety. It is dangerous sleeping in the same bed as an infant because if you roll over in your sleep you could suffocate your child. Honestly, just be persistent and do what you need to do in order to get your kid to sleep in their crib. A few sleepless nights are worth your child's safety.