Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

Is 9am too early to do DIY?

• Andy C

Do do it yourself?

That's like an ATM machine. 

Simply put, no it's not too early. Many workmen and contractors begin about that time. The only time you should be concerned is if you live in an apartment building where the noise would bother other tenants--depending on what it is you're doing. 

It depends on WHAT YOUR LOCAL LAWS and ORDINANCES say..

not at all ... roofing starts shortly after sunup in many areas

depends on the diy , if your alone and wont get caught , well go for it .

No, 9am is not considered "quiet time".

DIY WHAT?

There is a lot of DIY you could do 24 hours a day and NO ONE outside of the room would even know.

8 AM  is legal start time for power tools in my town.

That depends on how noisy your DIY is going to be and who is in earshot. If nobody's within earshot of the noise you'll be making, no time is too early. Do it whenever you want.

If you have neighbors who can hear or even people you live with who you might disturb with noise, that's something to consider. Different cities even have ordinances about when you can start work during the week and during weekends. In the city I live in, 9am is the soonest any contractor can begin work that can potentially be heard by neighbors during the week and 10am is the soonest any contractor can begin work that can potentially be heard by neighbors during the weekend. Those ordinances hold true for DIY. If I go out at 9am on a Saturday and start cutting down a tree or hammering shingles on my garage, some neighbor of mine is libel to call the police and the next thing I know I'm getting a $100 ticket. Of course, I've been advised of all of this if I've gotten a permit to do my DIY.

So what time is too early to do DIY varies, varies based on where you live and local laws and ordinances and varies based on how noisy it is, who is within earshot, and their individual circumstances. When I lived out in the country, my only neighbor was Jim, and he was up at the crack of dawn, so I could start buzz cutting lumber at 7:30 in the morning if I wanted to because he was already out bumbling around his garden, but in the house I lived in before that, I was directly across the street from a bed and breakfast, so if I started any kind of noisy work before 10:30 a.m. or 11:00a.m. on weekends, I'd definitely hear about it as the owner would be marching over and getting right up in my face about it. Also, maybe you have a neighbor who is a nurse and finishes her shift at 6:00 a.m. and goes to bed, in which case you might try to do your DIY later in the day and into the evening to be conscientious of that.

🥴 No.

In fact that's late.