Ty asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Can you come up with an exotic country for my book I’m having writers block?

This is about three spies who infiltrate Russia during the Russian revolution to rescue Anastasia I have an American British but I feel that I want this guy to be from an exotic country. His name is Colonel John “the bull”Mcclay  He is 6’4” and he is built like a beast

• Phil

Britain had much influence over Persia ( now Iran) between 1857 and 1925.

Russia also had influence over the north of Persia and nations in the Caucasus Mountains like Azerbaijan.

Angola

is exotic...

Texas.  It's a whole other country.

I  honestly don't see how his height and build would affect the name of the country he comes from.

If you pick an English first name and a Scottish last name, it would be ridiculous for the character to come from anywhere that wasn't a British colony.  You could use Australia or New Zealand or Canada or maybe a British colony in Africa or India.  Just do some actual research.  For example, the British Empire established the East Africa Protectorate in 1895, in 1920 it was renamed the Kenya Colony. The independent Republic of Kenya was formed in 1963.  So do them math as to what the right name would be during the Russia revolution.

• Marli

Do you want a real country?

Since your character has a Scots or Irish name (still "British" owned and operated at the time, Patrick and Sean) why not have Col. Mcclay come from a British colony or dominion?  Australia or New Zealand or Tasmania or South Africa. I don't think of my own country, Canada, as "exotic", but he could be from the Yukon or the Northwest Territories or from the northern region of one of the provinces. He would be hardy and experienced to tackle a Russian climate. 

India? Burma? Singapore? Hong Kong? Taiwan? A "great white hunter" from Kenya or Rhodesia?

Maybe he's a soldier of fortune. China? Egypt? 

Maybe he was with T E  Lawrence "of Arabia".

I'm being a slapdash writer right now, but be careful about grammar,  punctuation and the rest when writing your story. Did you mean to say that Col. Mcclay (Spellchecker  keeps changing it to McCray)"an American British" (a naturalized Britton born an American or one whose parents were American) or that the other two rescuers are an American and a Briton?

Do your characters think only Anastasia is alive or were they going to rescue the family and discovered that Anastasia was the only one alive - or the only one they found, the other Romanovs who knows where?

The bones of Alexi and either Marie or Anastasia were found and are now with those of the rest of the family, so Anastasia really did not escape in 1918.  Still, the rescue attempt would make an exciting story.

• denise

'Militania',  'Novolandia', Colonia.  

Sure, let me help. Okay, so this "exotic country" is called "Tyland." (Don't worry, I'm sure the name is available.) It's located on that little spit of territory that currently belongs to the US state of Missouri, that little speck of land wedged in between Tennessee and Arkansas. It's named for a settler (called "Ty"), who was banished there for being an unimaginative retard, and all of the other unimaginative retards in all of the other 50 states were eventually banished there with him and a 57 foot high wall was constructed around the entire perimeter of the place to keep those oafs from breeding with anybody else. The natives drink out of lead cups, wrestling is the national sport, and the flag is a black banner that says "2+2=5" in very squiggly handwriting, in a slightly lighter shade of black. 

John "the Bull" McClay got his nickname because as a boy, he spent a few years in the middle of a pasture fastened to a large rock through a ring in his nose, just like a bull. Kids would come by and throw crabapples at him, (his only sustenance), but he consumed so many that he grew to be extraordinarily large. He is not house-trained. 

Please keep us posted on the progress of what's sure to be a gripping and expertly crafted tale. 

Honestly with the name you've given him I would ask why go so exotic? Its a Scottish name so I would roll with that. You could always pick one of the islands to be more adventurous, like Skye, Tiree, etc. If you try to go too exotic the "Colonel" and his name "McClay" just isn't really that believable.

• Murzy

Bosconia a fictitious country