Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 2 months ago

How to boost your fertility ? ?

We are planning on child #2, I’m 34 years old, I had my first at 28. 

I’m healthy overall, not overweight. 

We have been trying for three months now. 

With the first I got pregnant right away after trying. 

Is there anything I can do to boost fertility besides prenatal ?

• John P

Get face to face advice from the medical profession, if you try for a further 3 months without success. Only a consultation and tests can truly tell you how to improve your chances.

You are healthy.  Stay that way, meaning mask, social distance, wash hands and exercise...at home in the living room.  Stay off the computer.  Garden instead. Do something to stay active.

• God

You obviously do not have fertility issues since you are already parents.  3 months of trying isn't very long.  Just keep on doing what you're doing.  It will happen just like it did the first time.

Three months is nothing. 

You can't "boost" your fertility.  Assuming you aren't taking drugs or drinking excessively, your fertility should remain consistent.  Prenatals don't boost fertility. 

The main question is how you are determining fertility.  If you're using an app, counting days, using a calendar, etc, who knows when you're actually fertile.  If you're charting your BBT, fertile signs, vaginal sensations, etc, after six to eight months of plotting fertility and timing sex accordingly you can always bring those charts to your doctor and see if they want to do any checks.  But even six to eight months is normal, it can take normal, fertile, healthy couples a year to a year and a half to conceive.

• LizB

Eat healthy, do gentle to moderate exercise (nothing overly strenuous like running marathons), don't smoke, drink alcohol sparingly... you know, common sense stuff. 

Do recognize though that getting pregnant on the first try is not the norm, though, you got unusually lucky the first time. 3-6 months is average, and up to a year is considered normal. However, if you and your partner are both in your mid-30s (I'm assuming he's not significantly younger), then you don't need to wait an entire year to see a fertility specialist if you don't want to. 6 months is a sufficient amount of time to try before seeking an expert opinion. 

Nothing. 

_________

When you say "prenatal" - I assume you mean prenatal vitamins.  Those do NOTHING to boost fertility.  That is just a vitamin supplement to make sure you are as healthy as possible if you do become pregnant.

Just have sex often.  Try for about once every three to four days.  It increases the chances that you have live sperm when ovulation happens.  Try to avoid having sex more than once every three days.  Considering you are older, there is some chance that your male partner may not have as high of a sperm count as he once did and a few days between each round of sex will give a chance for him to build a new supply.  Don't try to wait for "the right time" for ovulation.  You might miss the date.  If you aren't having a period - then you should be having sex at least once every three to four days.  Sperm can live for up to five days and the egg only lives 12 to 24 hours.

Considering  your age, if you aren't pregnant within one year - be sure to contact your doctor and start the next steps right away if you want to use medical methods to increase your chances of conceiving.