Amanda
Amanda asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Would you find this rude?

If you were a visitor in a store and then don't see any products that hold your interest. The person working there asks you if you're going to try anything. You say that now's not a good time and then say that you'll leave. The employee replies, "Yeah, you probably need to leave."

Would you find the salesperson's reply fairly disrespectful?

To answer the 2nd person's question: A possibility could be that you occupied very limited space. Beats me.

• 🦋

Yes that's rude 

What we don't know is how you were behaving while you were in the shop, and how you spoke to her when she asked if you wanted to try anything.Maybe you'd been hanging around for a while and she felt it was time you fished or cut bait.

I also don't quite see why you felt you had to tell her you would leave. Most people would say, "Sorry, not today; bye!" and just GO without any announcements.

I suspect she was a bit suspicious of your behaviour, and when you said (bizarrely) that you would leave, she was hinting that you probably shouldn't come back.Not exactly polite: but not rude either.

yes, thats very rude

• I don't take much to heart, so I would probably find the whole exchange more awkward over anything, especially in terms of dialogue.

It was rude yes, but don’t take it to heart. She’s probably having a rough day and she’s exhausted and just fell out of character.

Retail associates are people too and have feelings, hopefully next time you’ll have a better experience 

Yeah that is rude. I would definitely be doing a Karen and calling out the manager on his a$$.

it does sound rude

It is, but I'm curious why they would say that. Why would you NEED to leave?