Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Is losing 30 pounds in 10 months a realistic goal?

Or is it too unrealistic to set? Exactly 10 months.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

That's very realistic.  Just make sure you're exercising regularly and paying attention to what you're eating. 

• 1 month ago

It can be done but make sure you feel and look healthy. Make lean muscle. Do not starve. Do not cut carbs. Drink water the right way and read what real experts suggest:https://mangoclinic.com/top-14-health-enthusiasts-...

But not take stress for it. Because the question itself makes me feel stressful

• 1 month ago

sure         .

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you have the self control and eat healthily in the right amounts and exercise properly you will have no trouble losing that amount of weight in as little as 4 or 5 month.  I lost 30kilograms (roughly 70 pounds) in 5 months and found it quite easy.

The first thing is see a dietician (I did a healthy eating course) and learn what you should and should not eat.  Many Americans have lost their way with food and have moved away from the healthy basic food of the 1960s to the unhealthy processed food many live on now.  80% of the food sold in supermarkets is unhealthy garbage filled with fat and sugar and manufacturers prefer to make the food tastier than actually put any healthy ingredients in.  Take away foods are the absolute worse and as I have heard of the term beige food.  Beige food is generally tan to brown colour showing it has no or little healthy vegetables in it.  Meat supplies us with protein and Iron our bodies need and Fruit and vegetables supply us with the vitamins and minerals our bodies need.  Many people these days are not eating enough fruit and vegetables.  Good Healthy food can taste better than processed and take away food.  Also you need to eat food in a correct amount.  Many eat too much food in a day and we are supposed to only eat 2,200 calories per day for the normal adult.  Many people including children are eating way more than that and that is why there is an obesity epidemic.  Many people are eating more than the equivalent of 4 large meals a day when you take in account of all the unhealthy snacks.  Many people do not realise sodas and alcohol as very fattening so drink water.  The high sugar content quickly is converted to fat.  You need to know about low GI foods.  High GI foods digest very quickly and soon after you have eaten you feel hungry again.  Low GI foods digest much slower and keep you feeling fuller for longer.  Generally processed food and take away foods are high GI and so we want to snack more.  If you give high GI snacks to kids it is not long before they are back wanting more.

As far as exercise goes all you need to do is go for a brisk walk (don't dawdle along) or 2 a day.  This is much easier if you have a friend to walk with.  You can lose the weight just as fast with a 40 minute brisk walk or 2 a day.  I used to do a couple 40 minute brisk walks a day and with eating correctly the weight will fall off at 2 to 3 pounds a week.  Excessively hard exercise does not lose as much weight as brisk walking.  They say in your exercise you should be able to still talk to a person next to you as you exercise.  If you are gasping for air and struggling to talk to a person next to you then the body will go into a desperate effort to hang on to the fat.

To finish up it takes the combined eating and exercising to lose the weight.  Do not starve yourself thinking this will get rid of the weight quicker as the body goes into starvation mode and desperately tries to hold onto the fat stores in your body.  If you feel hungry just remind yourself that your body is losing fat and a little hunger will not hurt you.  Generally the first 2 weeks are the hardest until your stomach starts to shrink and takes less to feel full.  Also it takes a couple weeks for the cravings for sugar and fat to start to subside so you have to resist sweets, cookies, cake chocolate bars, and ice cream.  Cut out the desserts.  Apples are a very good diet food as they are low in calories and do fill you up.  They also have a natural hunger suppressant in them so replace dessert and a snack with an apple.

Go see an expert or a weight loss club, but be aware if once you lose the weight and no longer exercise or eat correctly you will soon be back to your present weight.  Weigh yourself every week and record the weight each week as looking at a chart of you losing weight can really give you the willingness to continue with the correct eating and exercise.  After a couple weeks you will see you have lost 5 ponds and you will feel good about it and this will make you want to continue.  The first 2 weeks are the hardest and if you are doing it correctly you will find after 2 weeks you will be keen to continue.  After a couple weeks there seems to be no more hunger pangs and you are eating healthy size portions of food instead of overeating on poor quality processed food.  Good luck and do it and you will be thrilled as I was with the results

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

yes it sounds good , a pound a week wont be to hard .

• 1 month ago

Very realistic, 3 lbs a month. Wish you the best I think you defiantly can do it!

• 1 month ago

That's fair enough.  lb a week-ish is a realistic goal.

• 1 month ago

That is a very realistic goal.  A reasonable goal is one pound a week, or four pounds a month.  It should be fairly easy to average 3/4 or .7 pound a week (3 pounds a month) over a 10 month period. 

You may find that you will lose more in the beginning and have to continue to adjust your food/calorie consumption to maintain a calorie deficit as you get closer to your goal.  Also, be realistic about planning for holidays and celebrations -- and keeping those under control.  Many people undo months of weight loss progress by over indulging in treats and sweets and booze and large meals during the month of December.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course it's realistic. I lost 33 lbs in 2 months. All i did was eat healthy, and exercise. People know how to eat healthy already. I don't get why it could be difficult at all. Good luck on your journey my friend.

• BJJ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That's only 3 pounds a month  , 3 pounds a week would be realistic with diet and exercise 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.