Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

What do I do about my mother constantly favouriting my brother and ignoring me when I say it’s unfair ?

My mum constantly favourites my brother. For example my brother plays xbox from  the moment he wakes (usually 1pm) to about 3am everyday and other family members will tell my mum that she should do something about it because it’s not healthy etc, but still she never does. I stayed up late  once (till about 2am) a few months a ago and my mum wouldn’t shut up about it, telling my dad and trying to get my into trouble. Luckily my dad isn’t too bothered as he doesn’t favourite either of me or my brother we get treated equally from him. Another time was, I’d cleaned the kitchen for my mum because she was working a lot and I was at home because my school was closed due to corona and she’d asked me to to be helpful. So after I’d cleaned the kitchen my brother came down to make a cup of tea (after spending the whole day on the Xbox in his room) and spilled tea all over the counter , so I asked him to clean it up and he ignored me and then walked away purposely spilled tea all over the floor and then said “woops, oh no there’s tea on the floor” sarcastically and walked away to his room. My mum watched this whole thing happen and didn’t say a word, I then asked my mum “did you not just see him spill tea all over the floor on purpose” She said yes and then started making some weird excuse basically saying it was fine for him to do that because it’s what boys do. This has happened a number of times after and my mum still continues to favourite him and won’t listen to what I say.

Don’t get me wrong my mum is a really nice person but in the last year or so this favouritism has gotten a bit out of hand 

maybe you should talk to your mom about it

Grow up I suppose............

That's frustrating but I'm guessing that she's not going to change at this point.

She is not doing your brother any favors by enabling his behavior.   Its hard to have healthy relationships, learn how to be responsible if all free time revolves around video games.

On the other hand, it seems to me like you will be much better prepared to go out into the adult world.  I know it hurts when your mom treats you so differently but it has nothing to do with you, everything to do with her and frankly, your brother is going to suffer as a result.

• Tj

As soon as you can move out from that mess. Have you tried to talk to your dad about this?